Three Players Sign New Contracts as Preseason Start Nears
The LA Galaxy announced today that the club has agreed to terms on new contracts with midfielders Colin Clark and Mike Magee as well as goalkeeper Brian Perk ahead of the start of the 2013 MLS season. Magee, who was second on the team with three goals during the 2012 MLS Cup Playoffs, will return for his fifth season with the Galaxy while Perk, who made seven first team appearances in all competitions for LA in 2012, returns fourth season with the club. A seven-year MLS veteran who has played for Colorado and Houston, Clark was selected by the Galaxy in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Process last month.
One of the stars of the Galaxy's run to back-to-back MLS Cup titles in 2011 and 2012, Mike Magee has signed a new contract with the club and will return for his fifth season with the Galaxy. Since joining the Galaxy ahead of the start of the 2009 season, Magee has scored 13 goals and added 11 assists in 95 regular season games, but his impact has been felt that much more in the postseason. In 17 postseason games with the Galaxy, Magee has eight goals and an assist, helping LA reach MLS Cup in three of the last four years, winning a pair of championships. Now entering his 11th MLS season, the 28-year-old has appeared in 225 regular season games during his career, scoring 36 goals and adding 24 assists. He tied a career-high with 29 regular season appearances in 2012 and set a career-high by starting 24 games for LA. He finished the year with nine goals and five assists in 39 games in all competitions, including three goals and an assist in the MLS Cup Playoffs.
Also returning to the club is goalkeeper Brian Perk, who appeared in a career-high seven games in all competitions in 2012. The 23-year-old started four regular season games last year for the Galaxy while also starting three of the club's four matches in the Group Stage of the 2012/13 CONCACAF Champions League. Perk allowed just two goals in those three Champions League matches and kept two clean sheets, helping LA win Group 5 and advance to the tournament's quarterfinals. He also started and played in five games for the Galaxy in the MLS Reserve League, allowing just three goals in that time and helping the club win the Western Division championship for the first time ever.
Joining those two this season will be veteran midfielder Colin Clark. The 28-year-old made his MLS debut with the Colorado Rapids in 2006 after signing with the club prior to the start of that season. A left-footed winger, Clark spent the first four-and-a-half years of his career with the Rapids, setting a career-high with five goals in 2008 and a career-best of five assists the following year. He was traded to Houston late in the 2010 season and helped the Dynamo win back-to-back Eastern Conference Championships in 2011 and 2012, losing to the Galaxy in MLS Cup each time. Clark, who has made one appearance for the U.S. National Team, appeared in 14 games for the Dynamo in 2012, making six starts. In the first seven years of his MLS career, Clark has played in 127 games, making 93 starts while scoring 15 goals and adding 13 assists.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 8, 2013
- Marco Schallibaum Announces Coaching Staff - Montreal Impact
- San Jose Earthquakes Duo Named to Honduras National Team Camp Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Forward Cam Weaver - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Re-Sign Defender Marvell Wynne - Colorado Rapids
- Martinez Called in to Honduras National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Steven Evans as Second Homegrown Player - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Announce Samuel Archer as Winner of Open Tryout - Chicago Fire
- Three Players Sign New Contracts as Preseason Start Nears - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Lloyd Sam to New Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Formally Introduce New Head Coach Caleb Porter at Jeld-Wen Field - Portland Timbers
- Tickets to Sounders FC vs. Tigres Go on Sale Monday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Ryan Nelsen Named Toronto FC Head Coach - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Names Brent Erwin Assistant Coach - FC Dallas
- D.C. United, Annandale Boys & Girls Club and adidas Reach Affiliate Agreement - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Parts Ways with Mariner - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.