Taylor Thompson Added To North Division All-Star Roster
Birmingham, AL - The Southern League of Professional Baseball Clubs has announced that reliever Taylor Thompson has been named to the North Division All-Star roster due to an injury to reliever Ryan Kussmaul. Seven other Barons players were named to the 2013 Southern League All-Star team yesterday: catcher Mike Blanke, infielder Marcus Semien, designated hitter/first baseman Dan Black, and pitchers Scott Snodgress and Nick McCully. First baseman Andy Wilkins and pitcher Erik Johnson were also elected but will not participate in the game due to their promotions to the Triple-A Charlotte Knights. The Barons lead the Southern League with nine All-Star selections this season.
The All-Star selection is Thompson's first in his inaugural season at the Double-A level. He leads the Barons with 11 saves in 11 opportunities so far this season, tied for fourth in league. In 28 games, Thompson has posted a record of 3-1 with a 2.42 ERA (12 ER/44.2 IP) with 45 strikeouts.
A native of Montgomery, AL, Thompson attended Auburn University before being drafted by the White Sox in the 44th round of the June 2009 First-Year Player draft. Southern League batters are hitting just .181 (30-for-166) against Thompson on the season, the fourth-lowest opponents batting average against in the league this season.
Southern League Stories from July 3, 2013
- Moye, Stars One-Hit Lookouts - Huntsville Stars
- Generals Fall To Barons 7-2 On Independence Day Eve - Jackson Generals
- Braves Welcome Season's Largest Crowd, Fall 2-0 - Mississippi Braves
- Offense Stumbles, Smokies Take Series - Montgomery Biscuits
- Suns Fall to Pensacola, 5-3 in Series Finale - Jacksonville Suns
- Mitchell, Semien Homer in Win over Generals - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Use Longball, Defense To Defeat Biscuits 3-1 - Tennessee Smokies
- Wahoos Hold on for 5-3 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Around the Horn: Wahoos Salvage Series, Escape with 5-3 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Stars Activate C Paciorek From DL - Huntsville Stars
- Generals vs. Mariners - Game Notes - July 3, 2013 - Jackson Generals
- Eight BayBears Chosen for All-Star Game in Jacksonville - Mobile BayBears
- Suns Announce Roster Move - Jacksonville Suns
- Postponed Games Rescheduled Between Smokies/Generals - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Return Home for Independence Day Weekend - Tennessee Smokies
- Three Blue Wahoos Named to All-Star Game - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Lookouts Announce Upcoming Promotions - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Suns Announce Roster Move - July 3 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Taylor Thompson Added To North Division All-Star Roster - Birmingham Barons
- Six M-Braves Named Southern League All-Stars - Mississippi Braves
- Six Suns Named Southern League All-Stars - Jacksonville Suns
- Jones Delivers Walk-Off Single For Generals In 15th - Jackson Generals
- Barons Fall in 15-Inning Marathon - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Overcome Error, Win 4-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Rally But Fall Short in 13 Innings - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.