Taveras Deals in Debut, Pigs Win
Jose Taveras picked up the win in his Triple-A debut, and Andrew Pullin hit a solo home run as the IronPigs (66-43) took the opener 3-1 over the Rochester Red Wings (62-46) Tuesday night at Frontier Field.
Taveras was dealing in his debut with the Pigs, as the right-hander surrendered just one unearned run on two hits while walking three batters and struck out eight.
He surrendered the unearned run in the bottom of the first inning, as ByungHo Park singled home Matt Hague to give the Red Wings a 1-0 lead after one.
Taveras surrendered his second hit in the third inning, as Mitch Garver was the only other Red Wings batter to touch Taveras in his debut.
He would retire the side in order in four of his six innings pitched and sent down the final 10 batters he faced.
Andrew Pullin tied the game at 1 in the top of the second inning, as he launched a solo home run to right field. For Pullin, it was his third homer of the season as an IronPig.
The game remained tied until the Pigs broke through with a two-run top of the sixth inning. Rhys Hoskins gave the Pigs a lead on a sacrifice fly to center field, scoring Herlis Rodriguez to give the Pigs a 2-1 lead. Jorge Alfaro then added an RMG insurance run, as he singled home J.P. Crawford giving the Pigs a 3-1 advantage.
Edubray Ramos and Yacksel Rios combined to toss a scoreless seventh and eighth inning respectively, as Rios picked up a strike out.
IronPigs Manager Dusty Wathan then went to switch-pitcher Pat Venditte to close things down in the ninth. The Omaha, Nebraska native retired the side in order, as Daniel Palka grounded to Venditte to end the game and preserve the 3-1 win.
For Venditte it was his second save of the season.
The series continues with game two of the three-game set with the Red Wings Wednesday night at Fronteir Field. The Pigs will send left-hander Brandon Leibrandt (4-0, 1.91) and the Red Wings will send right-hander Tim Melville (3-3, 2.44). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
International League Stories from August 2, 2017
- Leibrandt on the Bump for Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Syracuse Slugs Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- 'Pigs Take Series Opener - Rochester Red Wings
- Tribe's Comeback Falls Short in Columbus - Indianapolis Indians
- Gwinnett defeats Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Fall to RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Relinquish Lead in Ninth - Louisville Bats
- Taveras Deals in Debut, Pigs Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Soto, Chiefs Power Past PawSox - Syracuse Chiefs
- Knights Drop Opener in Durham - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls One-Hit Knights in Win - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.