Takahashi Joins I-Cubs; Coleman Activated
Des Moines, IA - LHP Hisanori Takahashi cleared waivers and the Chicago Cubs have outrighted him to Iowa. The Cubs have also activated RHP Casey Coleman from the disabled list, placed RHP Jaye Chapman on the D.L., and released RHP Jensen Lewis. Both Takahashi and Coleman will be available tonight out of the Iowa bullpen in the series finale against the Nashville Sounds at Principal Park.
Takahashi was designated for assignment on April 16. He made three appearances with Chicago and had no record and a 6.00 ERA (2ER/3.0IP). The Cubs signed Takahashi as a minor league free agent with an invitation to spring training on January 13. The Japanese native pitched 10 seasons with the Yomiuri Giants in the Japanese Central League before coming to the United States on a minor league deal with the New York Mets in 2010. He went 10-6 with a 3.61 ERA (49ER/122.0IP) in 53 games (12 starts) with the Mets in 2010. Entering this season, the 38-year-old was 14-12 with a 3.97 ERA (106ER/240.1IP) in 165 big league games with the Mets (2010), Los Angeles Angels (2011-12), and Pittsburgh Pirates (2012).
Coleman had no record and a 6.00 ERA (2ER/3.0IP) in two appearances with Iowa before going on the disabled list on April 10 with right shoulder inflammation. Coleman has split time between Iowa and Chicago in each of the last three seasons.
Chapman is on the D.L. as of April 16 with a left hip strain. He has allowed 12 runs on 14 hits, including two home runs, in 6.1 innings for a 17.05 ERA in his first four appearances of the season.
Lewis was 0-1 with a 17.18 ERA (7ER/3.2IP) in his five appearances with Iowa this year. In 3.2 innings, he surrendered four home runs among 10 total hits while walking three and striking out one. The Cubs signed Lewis as a minor league free agent last December.
The Cubs host the Nashville Sounds tonight at 7:05 at Principal Park. The gates will open at 5:35. RH Barret Loux (1-1, 10.50) will start for the Cubs against RH Johnny Hellweg (1-1, 5.00) for the Sounds. The game will be broadcast live on AM 940 and streamed live at iowacubs.com with the On-Deck Circle Pre-Game Show starting at 6:45. Due to wet grounds, there will not be a post-game fireworks show tonight.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 19, 2013
- Aces Drop Series Finale, 5-2 - Reno Aces
- Express Drops Series Finale to RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Close Out Homestand with 5-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Silenced by I-Cubs; Lose 5-0 - Nashville Sounds
- Diaz Provides the Power as Z's Snap Skid - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Omaha Takes Two from Albuquerque - Albuquerque Isotopes
- River Cats Roll out New Partnerships for 2013 Season - Sacramento River Cats
- Takahashi Joins I-Cubs; Coleman Activated - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes: April 19, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Announces Relief Initiatives to Assist Victims of Plant Explosion - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Foiled By Fresno In Extras - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Fall To 51s, 10-6 - Sacramento River Cats
- Tucson wins 3-2 - Tucson Padres
- Express Splits Doubleheader with RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- Aces Fall to Sky Sox, 4-2 - Reno Aces
- RedHawks, Express Split Double-Header - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.