SWB Game Notes
SHUTOUT SUCCESS: Making just his second stateside start since June 30, 2011, Chris Bootcheck came through for the RailRiders on Tuesday night. The team's oldest player at age 34 tossed six scoreless innings of three-hit ball as the RailRiders notched their first shutout win of the year with a 1-0 defeat of the Rochester Red Wings. SWB has won three straight while Rochester dropped to a league-worst 2-10 with its sixth straight setback.
ALL GOOD THINGS...: Zoilo Almonte walked twice but saw his streak end at 12 straight plate appearances reaching base when he grounded out to first in the third. The man who started the season 3-for-23 (.130) was 8-for-8 during his string of success.
Y'ER OUTTA HERE: Both teams saw their skippers ejected in the later stages of the game. Rochester hitting coach Tim Doherty and manager Gene Glynn were each tossed before the start of the eighth shortly after Oswaldo Arcia struck out to strand the tying run in scoring position. SWB's Dave Miley later got the heave-ho for the first time this season. All three were tossed by home plate man Brad Myers.
THE MELK MAN DELIVERS: Melky Mesa, who launched the first home run of the RailRiders era on April 8 against the Red Wings, connected for the club's first triple. He launched a fly to right that eluded an off-balance Arcia in the third inning for his three-bagger.
DOUBLE TROUBLE: Mesa, who also singled, combined with Thomas Neal for the team's only two multi-hit efforts on the night. Neal singled and doubled.
OFF THE RAILS: Fourteen of Rochester's 15 hits on the series have been singles...Bootcheck posted seven groundball outs against two in the air...Chris Herrmann's only career big league hit was a pinch-hit single in the ninth inning off Cody Eppley on Sept. 26, 2012...Eppley retired a pinch-hitting Herrmann via a swinging strikeout in the ninth inning on Tuesday for Eppley's first save...Herrmann is 1-for-18 in seven career Major League games.
WHAT A COINKYDINK: SWB notched its first shutout win in a true road game since a 6-0 defeat of the Red Wings at Frontier Field on Aug. 19, 2012.
DON'T BURY THE LEDE: The Red Wings put their leadoff man on base five times in nine innings. The RailRiders put their leadoff man on base once in their nine frames. That man, Corban Joseph, came around to score the game's only run. Joseph served as the RailRiders' leadoff hitter for a fourth straight game. In that role, he has gone 5-for-16 (.313) with a double, a homer, two RBIs and six runs scored. Add in his walk in Sunday's nightcap against Buffalo and he has a .353 OBP when penciled in at the top of the nine.
LET'S GET SERIESOUS: If the RailRiders can win today or tomorrow, they will secure their first series win of 2013. The team's last series victory in a true four-game road set? Aug. 6-9, 2012 at Frontier Field against the Red Wings.
CHANGE IS INEVITABLE: Before Tuesday's game, it was announced that Chien-Ming Wang will join the RailRiders' rotation. He will toss Friday's homestand opener against Syracuse. It is not a rehab outing as Wang signed a minor league deal with the Yankees last month. Also before the game, a roster move placed Cody Johnson on the temporarily inactive list. Catcher Jeff Farnham joined the team from Short Season-A Staten Island.
International League Stories from April 17, 2013
- Pitching Dominates in Second Straight Shutout - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Sweep Chiefs in Doubleheader - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bulls Pitchers Strikeout 16 Knights in Lopsided Win - Durham Bulls
- Garcia, Tides Stifle G-Braves, 3-2 - Gwinnett Braves
- Doyle Guides PawSox Past 'Pigs 6-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- PawSox to Wear Boston Caps Tonight and Tomorrow in Support of the People of Boston - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats' Offense Too Much for Clips - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Drubs Columbus 8-3 - Columbus Clippers
- Morgan Twins to Sing National Anthem Tonight - Rochester Red Wings
- High School Championships Coming to PNC Field - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Rochester Red Wings
- Author of Bats Book to be Featured at Game - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs Announce Events for Armed Forces Weekend - Syracuse Chiefs
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- MLB Network to Air Two Bisons' Road Games Live in 2013 - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Sox Recall Danks, Heath Optioned, and Anderson Activated - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Notes (DH) - Buffalo at Syracuse (Game 1: 4:00 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Return to PNC Field for Eight Games - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bootcheck Carries RailRiders to Taut Triumph - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.