Suiter Clubs Two Home Runs, Chinooks Top Rafters in Extras, 4-2
Wisconsin Rapids, WI- The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters dropped their sixth-straight ballgame Saturday evening to the Lakeshore Chinooks in extra innings, 4-2. The loss dropped the Rafters to 0-2 in games decided in extra innings and improved the Chinooks to 3-0 against the Rafters. The loss was the second of the day as Lakeshore and Wisconsin Rapids finished up a postponed ballgame from May 29, with Lakeshore claiming the first game of the double header, 9-7. Both games were close affairs as the Rafters had opportunities to win in the bottom of the final frames in both games.
The Rafters had their chances in the ballgame as the offense combined to slug 13 hits between the two ballgames while Zack Belanger added his first home of the year on a 3-2 count in the fourth against starter Chris Rubio.
The ballgame was a back-and-forth affair as the Rafters struck for the games first run after Taylor Stell opened the bottom of the first with a well-struck single to left field. North Florida product, and newest Rafter, Donnie Dewees, followed the Stell single by reaching base on an infield hit that dropped in front of Chinook pitcher, Rubio. Rubio failed to make a play and gave the Rafters runners at first and secon. The infield hit was the third hit for Dewees since joining the club in two games. The Rafters would get their first run of the game on a Belanger sacrifice fly to deep center field that was just enough to score Stell from third, giving the Rafters a lead, 1-0.
Lakeshore would respond in the second as Chinook right fielder, Ryan Solberg, reached base by out-hustling a fielder's choice. Solberg would come around to score on a Travis Enger RBI single to right, evening the score, 1-1.
Chinook scratched across another run in the fourth as TCU utility player, Jerrick Suiter led off the inning with a leadoff home run to left field off Rafter, Brad Stroik. Stroik threw five strong innings while yielding way to two runs and three hits. The homerun was the first of the year allowed by Stroik and second second straight quality outing for Stroik, who had a consecutive innings scoreless streak snapped at seven innings pitched dating back to June 3.
Wisconsin Rapids responded with another run in the bottom of the fourth as Belanger laced a solo home run to right field on a 3-2 count. The Home run was the first of the year for the Long Beach State University product and the ninth of the year in 11 games for the Rafters offense. The home run also gave Belanger his second RBI of the day, making it his third multi-RBI game of the season.
The Rafters pitching staff was the story of the final third of the game as UW-Stevens Point pitcher, JP Feyeriesen, came in to relieve Stroik with runners at second and third and no body out in the fifth. Feyereisen would get Suiter to fly out with an infield single and strikeout the next two batters to end the Chinook threat, keeping the score, 2-2. Feyereisen threw two innings in the ballgame and struck out five while facing seven batters.
The Rafters fell to 3-7 on the year after Suiter launched his second home run of the night off Forrest Herman. The home run came on a 3-2 count and was the second of the year aloud by the Evansville product and gave the Chinooks the win, 4-2.
The Rafters will finish off a five-game home stand tomorrow when they host Lakeshore for the final game of a two-game series.
Fans can listen to tomorrow broadcast by tuning in 1320 AM WFHR.
Northwoods League Stories from June 9, 2013
- Border Cats Drop 10-Inning Affair - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Bombers Fall in Extras - Battle Creek Bombers
- Bullfrogs Can't Hang on against Loggers, Lose Sixth Straight - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Home Run in 12th Inning Brings Rox 5-2 Victory over Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Strong Start Too Much for Eau Claire - Madison Mallards
- Honkers Fall to a 12th Inning Blast - Rochester Honkers
- Chucks Score Six Runs in Eleventh, Defeat Bombers 9-5 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Huskies Game Rained Out - Duluth Huskies
- Blue Anchors/Stingers Game Postponed - Alexandria Blue Anchors
- Express Well Represented in MLB Draft - Eau Claire Express
- Duluth Huskies Game Delayed Until 6:35pm - Duluth Huskies
- Four Bucks Selected in MLB Draft - Waterloo Bucks
- Tabakman to Make Mallards Debut Today at Eau Claire - Madison Mallards
- 11 More Honkers Drafted on Day 3 - Rochester Honkers
- Blue Anchors Top MoonDogs 5-3 - Alexandria Blue Anchors
- Border Cats win 3-1 - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Follow Suit: 2 Blasts Power Chinooks Past Rafters; 9-7, 4-2 Saturday - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Suiter Clubs Two Home Runs, Chinooks Top Rafters in Extras, 4-2 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.