Stellar Rusin Lifts Iowa to Victory
The Cubs snapped their five-game losing streak, winning a pitchers duel 2-1 at Principal Park Sunday afternoon. LHP Chris Rusin tossed eight scoreless innings, surrendering no walks, two hits, and hitting one batter while fanning four.
The southpaw improved to 2-2 as Iowa's (8-10) two runs were enough for Rusin's stellar start. After today's win over Memphis (5-12), the Cubs are now undefeated on Iowa Oaks throwback days this season.
Rusin's impressive outing gave some rest to an ailing Iowa bullpen, while his bat aided the offense. Memphis pitching only retired the Cubs starter once on the day. The Detroit native helped his own cause, driving in the first run with a sac-fly to right in the second to score LF Alfredo Amezaga and walking in the fifth.
The Cubs sprinkled six hits throughout Redbirds' starter Brian Broderick six innings of work. Broderick was the tough-luck loser, falling to 1-3 despite surrendering just two runs in a quality start. RF Dave Sappelt extended his hit streak to five games with a single in the first inning and is now 3-for-8 in the series.
2B Adrian Cardenas continued his hot hitting with a single, a triple, a walk, and a stolen base. The second baseman also added a web gem, with a diving grab to rob Cazana of a single in the second. Back-to-back doubles by 1B Anthony Rizzo and C Welington Castillo, respectively, in the sixth cushioned the Cubs' lead. RHP Blake Parker recorded the save for Iowa after surrendering one run in the ninth.
Don't miss Dollar Dog Day tomorrow at Principal Park with a 12:05 p.m. start. RHP Jay Jackson (1-1) will take the hill for the Cubs against RHP Joe Kelly (0-1) in Monday's matinee. Iowa will look to make it two in a row tomorrow in the third game of the four-game set against Memphis. Fans can tune in to Iowa Cubs action with Deene Ehlis and Randy Wehofer on AM 940 with the pregame show beginning at 11:45 a.m.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 22, 2012
- Bees Whip Pads, 16-1 - Tucson Padres
- Isotopes Take Sunday Marathon, 11-10 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Outlast 'Hawks 11-10 in 14 Innings for Sixth Straight Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Fall To Fresno, 10-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Carter's Three-Homer Day Lifts Cats to 12-4 Win over Reno - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Top Aces, 12-4 - Reno Aces
- Round Rock's Hitting Overpowers Zephyrs 10-0 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Storm Chasers Squeeze Past the Sounds on Sunday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Powers Past New Orleans 10-0 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' Losing Skid Hits Seven with 2-1 Loss in Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Stellar Rusin Lifts Iowa to Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Recall Pitcher Randy Wells from Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Tucson win over Salt Lake - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers' Series Opener Foiled By Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Walk to London' Arrives in Tacoma - Tacoma Rainiers
- Storm Chasers Defeat the Sounds, 6-5, in 13 Innings - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bullpen Struggles in Loss to Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Lose Extra-Inning Contest in Omaha, 6-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Parker, Bullpen Combine for Two-Hitter; River Cats Beat Aces, 6-0 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Blanked by River Cats, 6-0 - Reno Aces
- 'Topes Win Fifth Straight with 6-1 Victory Over RedHawks - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Take Series Opener, 6-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.