Stars Squeak out Second Consecutive Win
BIRMINGHAM, Ala.-The Stars squeaked out their second consecutive victory against the Birmingham Barons with a 4-3 win on Friday night at Region's Field.
After falling behind to Birmingham by a score of 1-0 in the first inning, and then 3-1 in the fourth inning, Huntsville scored three unanswered runs over the last four frames to finish off the game.
The comeback for the Stars began in the fifth inning, where designated hitter Khris Davis delivered an RBI single to cut the Barons lead to one. Then, in the seventh, the Stars took the lead for good after a bases-loaded wild pitch by Birmingham RHP Brandon Kloess plated right fielder Brock Kjeldgaard for the tying run. Davis again came through with another RBI single to score first baseman Hunter Morris for the eventual game-winning run.
Huntsville starting pitcher Kyle Heckathorn earned his first Double-A win for the Stars. The 23-year-old righty pitched six innings, giving up three runs while striking out four Barons hitters. After RHP Bradley Blanks pitched a scoreless 1.2 innings, RHP Robert Wooten sealed the deal with a four-out save. For Wooten, it was his second save of the season. The former North Carolina product also hasn't given up a run yet this season in seven innings pitched.
On offense, Morris led the way once again for the Stars. The Huntsville native went 3-for-4 with a double and two runs scored. Morris is now 7-for-8 at the plate in the last two games, and is 10-for-16 at the dish against Birmingham for the series. Other than Morris, Davis ended up 3-for-5 with three singles. Second basemen Scooter Gennett also added two hits.
With two wins apiece for each team, the Stars will try to take the rubber match of the five-game series with the Barons on Sunday as Huntsville send RHP R.J Seidel (0-1, 10.12 ERA) to the mound to square off against Birmingham LHP Pedro Hernandez (0-1, 5.79 ERA). First pitch is at 6:30 PM.
Southern League Stories from April 13, 2012
- Stars Squeak out Second Consecutive Win - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears Walk off Winners in Whacky Ninth - Mobile BayBears
- Stars Slip by Barons 4-3 - Birmingham Barons
- Ridling's Big Night Leads Smokies to 4-1 Win Friday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Win Second Straight - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Announce Local Television Partnership - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Suns Drop Fourth Straight - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Manage 2 Hits in Shutout Loss - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies top Generals on Friday night, 4-1 - Jackson Generals
- Generals off to Historic Start - Jackson Generals
- Lookouts Homestand Highlights - Chattanooga Lookouts
- LHP Merklinger to DL; RHP Rogers Reinstated, Assigned to HSV - Huntsville Stars
- Lookouts Blank Suns 1-0 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Stars Snap Losing Skid - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.