Stars Snap Losing Skid
BIRMINGHAM, Ala- The Huntsville Stars scored six runs in the first two innings off of Birmingham Barons starting pitcher Simon Castro to snap a four-game losing streak with a 6-1 victory at Regions Field on Thursday night.
For the Stars, the story of the game was first baseman Hunter Morris. Morris, who led the Southern League in doubles coming into the game, delivered a two-run double in the first inning and another run-scoring double in the second inning en route to a perfect 4-for-4 night at the plate. The Huntsville native finished off with three runs batted in.
From that point on, the Stars pitching took care of the rest. With the combination of starting pitcher Evan Anundsen, RHP Josh Stinson and the recently promoted RHP Eric Marzec, Huntsville held Birmingham to one run on just seven hits. In the end, it was Stinson who earned his second win of the season with four innings of scoreless relief. The former Mets prospect only gave up three hits and stuck out six Barons batters in the process. Overall, the Stars pitchers had a season-high 11 strikeouts.
On offense, the only other player besides Morris with a multi-hit game was center fielder Josh Prince, who went 2-for-4 with a single and a double. Second basemen Scooter Gennett and designated hitter Khris Davis each added an RBI groundout.
With the win, Huntsville snaps a two-game losing streak against Birmingham and a four-game losing streak overall.
On Friday, the Stars will try to stay on the winning track by sending RHP Kyle Heckathorn (0-0, 4.76 ERA) to the mound to face off against Barons RHP Cameron Bayne (0-0, 3.86 ERA). First pitch for game four of the five-game series is at 7:05 PM.
The Stars close out a five-game series at Birmingham on Saturday before returning to "The Joe" on Sunday, April 15 for a 4:03 p.m. home opener. They open the season at home against the Tennessee Smokies (AA-affiliate Chicago Cubs) for a five-game series immediately followed by five games against the Jackson Generals (AA-affiliate Seattle Mariners)! For more information on the Huntsville Stars, visit huntsvillestars.com or call (256) 882-2562. Don't forget to keep up with the Stars on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and their official newsletter!
Southern League Stories from April 13, 2012
- Stars Squeak out Second Consecutive Win - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears Walk off Winners in Whacky Ninth - Mobile BayBears
- Stars Slip by Barons 4-3 - Birmingham Barons
- Ridling's Big Night Leads Smokies to 4-1 Win Friday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Win Second Straight - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Announce Local Television Partnership - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Suns Drop Fourth Straight - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Manage 2 Hits in Shutout Loss - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies top Generals on Friday night, 4-1 - Jackson Generals
- Generals off to Historic Start - Jackson Generals
- Lookouts Homestand Highlights - Chattanooga Lookouts
- LHP Merklinger to DL; RHP Rogers Reinstated, Assigned to HSV - Huntsville Stars
- Lookouts Blank Suns 1-0 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Stars Snap Losing Skid - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.