Stars Shutout San Antonio 3-0
SAN ANTONIO, TX - Cristopher Nilstorp and Jack Campbell combined for the shutout and Luke Gazdic scored the game-winner as the Texas Stars blanked the San Antonio Rampage 3-0 Saturday afternoon at the Ice & Golf Center at Northwoods.
Offense has been a positive trend for Texas during the 2012 preseason and it didn't take long for the Stars to continue their goal-scoring ways. A mere 68 seconds into the first period Luke Gazdic tipped a shot from Mathieu Tousignant passed Rampage goalie Jacob Markstrom to give Texas a 1-0 lead; Antoine Roussel earned the second assist on the goal. Each team spent time in the penalty box during the remainder of the frame, but scoring chances were few and far between.
The Stars trimmed off six seconds in the second period as they found the net just 62 seconds into the frame. Mike Hedden scored his second goal of the preseason, potting in a power play goal from Alex Chiasson and Jamie Oleskiak for a 2-0 lead. At 7:52 of the period Roussel dropped the gloves with Eric Selleck and just after the halfway point Nilstorp was replaced by Jack Campbell in the Stars net.
Plenty of gritty play highlighted a third period that did not feature much offense. However, Texas added the icing on the cake with 55 seconds left in the game as Austin Smith scored an empty net goal, assisted by Taylor Vause and Jamie Oleksiak.
In the Texas net Cristopher Nilstorp (10 saves) and Jack Campbell (7 saves) combined for the shutout, while Jacob Markstrom took the loss in goal for San Antonio. The Stars out-shot the Rampage 21-17 and went 2-for-9 on the power play; San Antonio was 0-for-4 with the man-advantage.
The Stars open the 2012-13 AHL season on Saturday, October 13th at 7:00 pm against the Rampage at the AT&T Center in San Antonio and their home opener comes on Sunday, October 14th as they host the Charlotte Checkers for a 7:00 pm faceoff at Cedar Park Center. 2012-13 season seat packages are on sale now. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com.
American Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2012
- Rivermen Wrap up Preseason in Loss to Rockford - Peoria Rivermen
- Hayes, Kruger, Saad Trio Lift Hogs in Preseason Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Wrap up Preseason with Win at Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Lose to Wolves in Pre-Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
- Falcons Close out Preseason with 4-1 Victory over Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Elkins Scores Twice as Admirals Shut out Checkers in Preseason Opener - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Conclude Pre-Season with 6-3 Win over Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Penguins Fall to Bears in Preseason Clash - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Defeat Penguins for First Win of Pre-Season - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Begin Pre-Season with 3-1 Loss to the Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Heat Announce Roster Moves And Player Signing - Abbotsford Heat
- Providence Falls to Springfield - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Open Preseason with 3-1 Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Defeated by Stars, 3-0, in Final Preseason Game - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Shutout San Antonio 3-0 - Texas Stars
- Whale Earn First Preseason Win - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms Conclude Preseason Schedule - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Assign Reiter to Fort Wayne - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barons Make Roster Moves Prior to Final Preseason Game - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rockford Trims Roster by Six - Rockford IceHogs
- VIP Cup Website Launched - Manchester Monarchs
- Mrazek Reassigned to Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Texas Stars Trim Training Camp Roster - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Reduce Training Camp Roster by Four - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Trim Roster, Host Bruins in Preseason Finale Tonight - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.