Stars Clamp Down on Aeros 2-1
HOUSTON, TX - Cristopher Nilstorp made 25 saves for his 13th win of the season and rookie Alex Chiasson scored the game-winning goal as the Texas Stars took down the Houston Aeros 2-1 Friday night at Toyota Center.
Playing in their first game of 2013, the Stars rang in the New Year with an early goal as Jordie Benn's wrist shot from the blue line eluded all the traffic in front and beat goalie Matt Hackett to give Texas at 1-0 lead at 5:36, assisted by Scott Glennie. Three minutes later Patrik Nemeth was whistled for high-sticking only for the Stars to hold off the potent Houston power play. Texas had a chance to double its lead with a late man-advantage, but was unable to beat Hackett a second time.
The Aeros took advantage of an early Stars penalty to Jamie Oleksiak for tripping as defenseman Chay Genoway blasted a shot off the left post and in just 1:48 into the second period. Texas would respond with their second power play later in the frame Cody Eakin smartly slid a pass across the crease to find Alex Chiasson on the back door at 13:07. The goal, also assisted by CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month for December Reilly Smith, was Chiasson's sixth of the season and it gave the Stars a 2-1 lead.
In the third period Hackett and Stars goaltender Cristopher Nilstorp were called upon to make key saves. Hackett was the busier netminder and had to be at his best late in the game to stop Eakin when the Stars center raced down the left wing, turned the corner on Kris Fredheim and fired a low wrist shot. The Aeros pulled their goalie in the final minute but hardly forced another save for Nilstorp as the Stars held on for a 2-1 win.
Cristopher Nilstorp finished with 25 saves on 26 shots and was named the game's first star as he recorded his 13th win of the season and Texas' first win of 2013. Matt Hackett stopped 29-of-31 shots but took the loss in goal for Houston. The Stars out-shot the Aeros 31-26 and went 1-for-2 on the power play; Houston was 1-for-5 on the man-advantage.
The Stars return home for two games at Cedar Park Center this weekend. Saturday, January 5th at 7:00 p.m. Texas battles the Peoria Rivermen and Sunday, January 6th Houston is in town for a 5:00 p.m. faceoff. Saturday's home game is a Family Four Pack Night and is the Stars Team Card Set Giveaway, while Sunday's game features the second of four Stars Player Magnet Giveaways. Pro-rated full and partial 2012-13 season seat packages are on sale now. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com.
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2013
- Rampage Stomp Peoria, 3-0 - San Antonio Rampage
- Markstrom Hand Rivermen 3-0 Loss - Peoria Rivermen
- Five-Goal Second Lifts Griffins Past Barons - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Hold Off Sound Tigers, Increase Division Lead - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs win 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Dogs Knock off Hogs 3-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Shut out by Crunch - Norfolk Admirals
- Goalies Shine as Texas Edges Houston 2-1 - Houston Aeros
- Whale beats Adirondack - Connecticut Whale
- Stars Clamp Down on Aeros 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Home Win Streak Ends with Shutout Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
- Crunch Shut out Admirals 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Snap Skid in Lake Erie - Charlotte Checkers
- B-Sens Celebrate 40 Years with a 3-1 Win over Penguins - Binghamton Senators
- Phantoms Sunk at Whale - Adirondack Phantoms
- Penguins Turned Back by Senators - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Lok'D in Win - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Sink Pirates Behind Whitfield Game-Winner - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers Fall to Falcons 5-4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps Outlasted by Monarchs - St. John's IceCaps
- Allstate Insurance to Offer Policy Reviews at Upcoming Syracuse Crunch Games - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Make Roster Moves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils, Albany Fire Department Hold Auction for Ronald McDonald House - Albany Devils
- McKelvie to Take Part in Fitness Challenge for Charity - Abbotsford Heat
- This Fall: AHL to Celebrate 25 Years in Glens Falls - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Bridgeport, Game #31 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Cage Wolves, 4-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.