Stampeders Complete Trade with Tiger-Cats
The Calgary Stampeders have acquired a 2019 fourth-round draft pick from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in exchange for international defensive lineman Charleston Hughes. The Stampeders and Tiger-Cats will also exchange fourth-round picks in the 2018 draft with Calgary getting the 28th overall selection and Hamilton receiving the 34th pick.
"In a salary-cap world, sometimes difficult decisions have to be made and this is definitely a very difficult decision," said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. "Charleston has been a big part of our winning ways over the past 10 years and I thank him for his service and for the positive impact he made on this organization and this community. I wish him nothing but the best for the future."
Hughes joined the Stamps in 2008 and played a total of 162 games - 147 in the regular season and 15 in the post-season - over 10 seasons. The 34-year-old Saginaw, Mich., native leaves the Stampeders with a share of the franchise record with 99 career regular-season sacks. Hughes also had 372 defensive tackles, 38 special-teams tackles, three interceptions, 23 forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries and one touchdown as a member of the Red and White.
John Hufnagel and Charleston Hughes will be available to media in the players' lounge at McMahon Stadium today at 2 p.m. Members of the media are asked to enter through the clubhouse doors at the south end of the stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Argos Re-Sign Two-Time CFL All-Star S.J. Green Through 2019 - Toronto Argonauts
- Tiger-Cats Re-Sign Offensive Lineman Washington - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Stamps Sign 2017 Draft Pick Alexandre Gagnon - Calgary Stampeders
- Eskimos Re-Sign Hazelton - Edmonton Eskimos
- Argos Release Pending Free Agent Devier Posey - Toronto Argonauts
- BC Lions Acquire DL Odell Willis from Ottawa - B.C. Lions
- RedBlacks Acquire Draft Pick in Deals with Eskimos, Lions - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Esks Acquire Jake Ceresna in Trade with Ottawa RedBlacks - Edmonton Eskimos
- Riders Acquire Defensive Lineman Charleston Hughes - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Tiger-Cats Acquire Quarterback Adams Jr. from Roughriders - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Argos Agree on One-Year Extension with Veteran QB Ricky Ray - Toronto Argonauts
- Stampeders Complete Trade with Tiger-Cats - Calgary Stampeders
- Tiger-Cats Acquire All-Star Defensive End Hughes from Stampeders - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Defensive Back Washington Re-Signs with Tiger-Cats - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.