Sporting KC Hosts Chivas USA on Sunday
Sporting Kansas City takes on Chivas USA for the third of four consecutive matches against Western conference opponents at 4 p.m. CT on Sunday at Sporting Park. Tickets are available for the match online at Ticketmaster.com or at the Sporting Park Box Offices.
The match, sponsored by Deffenbaugh Industries, will be nationally broadcast on UniMas and shown live locally on KSMO-TV with coverage starting at 3:30 p.m. CT. The game will also air live on Sports Radio 810 WHB and La Gran D 1340 AM.
Sporting Kansas City is undefeated in their previous four matches with Chivas USA, including three victories over the past three seasons. The two clubs have played at Sporting Park on one prior occasion, which resulted in a 1-1 draw on July 9, 2011. The Sporting KC equalizer was earned in the third minute of second-half stoppage time.
The last time these two clubs met resulted in a 1-0 victory in favor of Sporting Kansas City. C.J. Sapong converted the game-winner on an assist by Graham Zusi, the 2012 MLS assist leader with 15. A year earlier, Sapong scored his first professional goal in his MLS debut against Chivas USA at The Home Depot Center before going on to earn 2011 MLS Rookie of the Year honors.
Chivas USA head coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola records his first visit to Sporting Park since taking the helm of Chivas USA, marking Sporting Kansas City's second consecutive match against a first-year MLS manager. Sanchez Sola is 3-3-2 on the season and Chivas USA currently sit tied for fourth place in the Western conference.
Chivas USA most recently earned a 2-2 result against the San Jose Earthquakes with goals from Mario de Luna and Tristan Bowen, both players first goals of the 2013 season. Chivas USA will be without the club's leading goal scorer Juan Agudelo and Ecuadorian midfielder Oswaldo Minda due to injuries.
Sporting Kansas City is 7-4-4 against Chivas USA all-time and 4-1-2 at home in the series. Sporting KC is coming off back-to-back losses to the LA Galaxy and the Portland Timbers. Last Saturday, Sporting Kansas City's 10-game home-unbeaten streak was snapped in a 3-2 loss to the Timbers in the second-highest scoring game in MLS this season.
Sporting Kansas City's Jacob Peterson made his first appearance since undergoing shoulder surgery during the offseason, entering in the 61st minute of the match last Saturday. Sporting Kansas City midfielder Paulo Nagamura has started and played every minute except for one during the first nine matches of the 2013 MLS regular season. Nagamura came to Kansas City in November 2011 after five seasons with Chivas USA.
The match also features both goalkeepers from the 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star Game in Sporting Kansas City's Jimmy Nielsen and Chivas USA's Dan Kennedy. With a shutout on Sunday, Nielsen would surpass Tony Meola for most shutouts in club history with 38. A Sporting Kansas City victory will mark Manager Peter Vermes 50th win while leading the club.
Sporting Park will offer several tailgating options for Sunday's match. The Boulevard Members Club opens to all Members Stand ticket holders and will feature KC Pils for $3 until kickoff. The Budweiser Beer Garden located on the Sprint Plaza is an all-inclusive experience with tickets available for purchase online at Ticketmaster.com or at the Sporting Park Box Offices on the day of the game while supplies last. The Boulevard Members Club and the Budweiser Beer Garden will both open at 2 p.m. CT.
Sporting Kansas City players Kevin Ellis and Teal Bunbury will be signing autographs on the concourse behind section 113 from 2:15 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. CT on Sunday. Parking lots open three hours prior to kickoff and all fans are encouraged to arrive early.
The Final Whistle: Sporting KC Postgame Show will air live on Sports Radio 810 WHB from the Boulevard Members Club, which opens to all ticket holders after the conclusion of the match. Fans can call 913-3-810-810 to join the postgame discussion with hosts Andy Edwards and Dave Borchardt.
Sporting Kansas City supporters can follow the match online via @SKCGameday on Twitter and the SportingKC.com/G ameO n page or on mobile devices with the MLS MatchDay app.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 3, 2013
- Charlie Rugg and Greg Cochrane Feel Ready to Play If Called - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Take on Columbus Crew Saturday at 4:00 pm on Nbc Sports - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Hosts Chivas USA on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- U.S. WNT Will Face Korea Republic at Gillette Stadium - New England Revolution
- Red Bull Arena to Host U.S. Women's National Team - New York Red Bulls
- Impact Faces Earthquakes in San Jose Saturday - Montreal Impact
- Timbers' Silvestre Sustains ACL Injury - Portland Timbers
- Rapids and Coca-Cola to Support Rocky Mountain USO - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL V. Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Real Salt Lake
- Tickets for the Chicago Fire vs. Club America Match Now On Sale - Chicago Fire
- Preview: Crew vs. Red Bulls - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew vs. New York Red Bulls - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers Acquire Defender Pa Modou Kah - Portland Timbers
- No Wholesale Upgrades to Columbus Crew Stadium Just Yet - Columbus Crew SC
- Recalled from Rochester, Bilal Duckett Helps Revolution Keep Another Clean Sheet - New England Revolution
- Revolution Tie Timbers on the Road - New England Revolution
- Timbers Extend Unbeaten Run to Seven After Draw with Revolution - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.