Sounds' Dillard Named PCL Pitcher Of The Week
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Former Nashville Sounds right-hander Tim Dillard - who was recalled by the Milwaukee Brewers over the weekend - has been named the Pacific Coast League's Pitcher of the Week for the July 20-26 period.
Dillard turned in the best pitching performance by a Nashville hurler all season on Wednesday evening at Memphis, working an eight-inning, one-hit shutout in the Sounds' 1-0 victory in game one of a doubleheader between the cross-state rivals.
Dillard, who faced the minimum 24 batters in his outing and tossed just 65 pitches, allowed a first-inning Tyler Greene single then erased him on a double play grounder en route to retiring the final 22 Memphis batters in order.
The right-hander leads all Pacific Coast League hurlers with his 10 victories this season and lowered his ERA to 3.66 on the year after hurling Nashville's first shutout of 2009.
For the year, the 26-year-old posted a 10-4 record and a 3.66 ERA (48er/118.0ip) in 19 starts for Nashville before earning his recent call-up to Milwaukee, where he is a candidate to start Tuesday's contest against the Washington Nationals.
Dillard's award is the third accumulated by a Sounds player during the 2009 season, following LHP Lindsay Gulin (June 1-7) and OF Jason Bourgeois (June 8-14).
The award is the second weekly honor of Dillard's seven-year career. He was previously honored by the Southern League in 2006 during his All-Star campaign with Double-A Huntsville.
The Sounds return to Greer Stadium on Tuesday to begin an eight-day, nine-game homestand against New Orleans (Marlins) and Albuquerque (Dodgers). Tickets are on sale at 615-609-HITS (4487) or at www.nashvillesounds.com.
Carolina League Stories from July 27, 2009
- Lopsided opener goes to Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Rizzo's three-run jack not enough as Sox fall 4-3 - Salem Red Sox
- Rocks halt Hillcat offense - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- P-Nats dish out pummeling of Pelicans - Potomac Nationals
- Blue Rocks top Cats in pitchers' duel - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Britton Befuddles Salem - Frederick Keys
- One-run woes continue as K-Tribe falls, 3-2 - Kinston Indians
- Dash continue mastery of Indians, take opener - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Game Notes for July 27 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Kinston's Eric Berger is the Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Kinston Indians
- Hillcats at Blue Rocks Tonight - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Nelson Named Player of the Week - Potomac Nationals
- Potomac Nationals Game Notes - Potomac Nationals
- Sounds' Dillard Named PCL Pitcher Of The Week - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Moustakas' Mash Highlights 5-4 Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.