Sounders FC Signs Djimi Traore
RENTON, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC has signed defender Djimi Traore, the club announced today. Traore will be added to the roster pending receipt of his P-I Visa and International Transfer Clearance. Per Major League Soccer and club policy, terms were not disclosed.
Traore, 32, played professionally for 16 years in Europe, including seven seasons for English Premier League side Liverpool. Traore becomes the first UEFA Champions League winner to join Sounders FC, beating Milan in a penalty shootout in the 2005 final. He most recently played for Marseille in France, making 11 appearances from 2011-12 and winning the 2012 Coupe de la Ligue title.
"Djimi has a great deal of experience and has played in the top leagues in Europe," said Sounders FC Sporting Director Chris Henderson. "He's a very good defender and makes smart decisions with the ball coming out the back.Djimi brings us confidence and leadership in the back."
Traore began his career for Laval of France in 1996. After three seasons, he signed with Liverpool where he played from 1999-2006. Traore made 150 appearances across all competitions for Liverpool, including 88 in the English Premier League. He was the first Malian player to win the UEFA Champions League, and he also won the 2006 FA Cup, 2005 Super League and the 2003 English League Cup.
Following his stint with Liverpool, Traore joined Charlton Athletic of England's league championship from 2006-07 and signed with Portsmouth in 2007, winning the 2008 FA Cup. He has been capped 10 times by Mali, scoring one goal.
Sounders FC hosts the Montreal Impact in the season opener on Saturday, March 2. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. PT on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 23, 2013
- Revs claim third place in Desert Diamond Cup with goals from Nguyen, Bengtson - New England Revolution
- Timbers Close Preseason with a 1-1 Draw against Aik - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC win 2013 FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Beats Columbus 1-0 to Win the Disney Pro Classic - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final 0-1 to Seattle - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire claim Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Battery earn 2-1 win - Houston Dynamo
- Mattocks scores fifth goal of preseason after Miller draws penalty kick - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Draw 1-1 with Vancouver Whitecaps FC in Preseason - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Routs the L.A. Blues, 5-1, in Preseason Finale - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- San Jose Earthquakes Close Preseason with 2-1 Win against FC Dallas - San Jose Earthquakes
- Venue Change for Sunday's Inaugural Kirk Urso Memorial Match - Columbus Crew SC
- Union Fall to United in Final Preseason Matchup - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Signs Djimi Traore - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy close out preseason with 2-1 win over Colorado - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy ready for MLS after successful preseason - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC play to scoreless draw - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.