Sounders FC News & Notes
Training Camp Underway in the Pacific Northwest
Sixty-four days after the Western Conference Championship concluded on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field, Seattle Sounders FC returned to the training pitch at Starfire Sports to begin preparations for the 2013 Major League Soccer season.
Seattle's fifth MLS season opens with the earliest start date in franchise history as Sounders FC hosts the Montreal Impact on March 2 at CenturyLink Field. Seattle will then play a two-leg, home-and-away series with Mexico's Tigres in the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals, beginning March 6 in Monterrey and concluding March 12 in Seattle.
A total of 24 players return from last year's side, joined by SuperDraft picks Eriq Zavaleta and Dylan Remick as well as the club's first Homegrown Player, DeAndre Yedlin. The group will also be joined by training camp invitees throughout preseason. Seattle is expected to add another five collegians in the Supplemental Draft.
The four-round Supplemental Draft will take place via conference call at 11 a.m. PT on Tuesday, January 22. Seattle holds the 5th (acquired via trade with Philadelphia), 16th, 35th, 54th and 73rd picks in the Supplemental Draft.
Following four days in the wintry cold at Starfire, the Rave Green will undergo fitness testing at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center on Friday and Saturday before heading south for warmer weather.
On Tuesday, January 29, Sounders FC players and coaches will travel to Casa Grande, Ariz., to begin the next phase of training camp. The first preseason training game is scheduled for February 5 against the Portland Timbers in Tucson, Ariz.
The team will return to Seattle for a short stint before departing for another training camp in the Grand Canyon State from February 11 to February 23. The team will participate in The Desert Diamond Cup against the New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls and Real Salt Lake.
Sounders FC comes home to Seattle for the final time on February 24 and will kick off the regular season the following week on March 2.
Sounders FC is accepting deposits for 2013 season tickets. To join, fans may visit www.SoundersFC.com or call 877-MLS-GOAL (877-657-4625). Tickets for the Seattle Sounders FC versus Tigres UANL match are on sale now. Tickets are available by phone at 800-745-3000 or www.SoundersFC.com .
Key Cast Members
Despite a pair of key offseason departures, much of the Rave Green nucleus remains intact as the pursuit of an MLS Cup and CONCACAF Champions League title commences. Captain Mauro Rosales, who set the club record the past two seasons with 13 assists, returns on the right side of midfield while three-time team MVP and MLS Best XI selection Osvaldo Alonso anchors the middle. The duo of Eddie Johnson, the club's scoring leader with 14 goals in 2012, and Brad Evans, who finished fourth on the team with four goals last season, will return to the fold following national team duty with the United States. The hero of Seattle's run in the MLS Cup Playoffs, Mario Martinez, will join the team after Honduras' World Cup qualifier in early February. In central defense, the tandem of Jhon Kennedy Hurtado and Patrick Ianni will shore up the backline, and goalkeeper Michael Gspurning, who led the league in goals against average in 2012, returns to Seattle's nets. A total of seven players remain from the first season and 24 return from 2012, with two SuperDraft picks and Homegrown Player DeAndre Yedlin joining the group as rookies.
Sounders FC Preseason Roster - Week 1
Goalkeepers: Josh Ford, Michael Gspurning, Marcus Hahnemann
Defenders: Marc Burch, Andrew Duran, Leo Gonzalez, Jhon Kennedy Hurtado, Patrick Ianni, Adam Johansson*, Dylan Remick^, Zach Scott, DeAndre Yedlin
Midfielders: Osvaldo Alonso, Servando Carrasco, Alex Caskey, Cordell Cato, Brad Evans*, Mario Martinez*, Mauro Rosales, Andy Rose, Christian Tiffert, Steve Zakuani
Forwards: David Estrada, Eddie Johnson*, Sammy Ochoa, Babayele Sodade, Eriq Zavaleta^
*Away with national team
^2013 MLS SuperDraft pick
* There are currently 25 players on the Sounders FC roster. Draft picks, trialists and invitees fill out the group of more than 40 training camp participants.
* Six players were with the team for the inaugural match in 2009 (Jhon Kennedy Hurtado, Patrick Ianni, Zach Scott, Osvaldo Alonso, Brad Evans and Steve Zakuani). Leo Gonzalez joined the team midway through the 2009 season.
* Twelve players on the roster are foreign and two players were born in Washington
* The average age of the group is 26-years-old. Marcus Hahnemann is the oldest player at 40 and DeAndre Yedlin is the youngest at 19.
* The active leader for goals scored for club is Steve Zakuani (17 goals in MLS regular season; 19 goals in all competitions).
* Osvaldo Alonso is the active leader for games played (113 games in MLS regular season; 151 in all competitions). He is currently tied for the club's all-time leader with 109 MLS starts.
* Eddie Johnson leads the team with 155 total MLS appearances, including 120 starts. His 55 career goals in regular season play is the most of any Sounders FC player.
* Ten players are primarily midfielders and nine players are primarily defenders. Four players are forwards with three goalkeepers, and SuperDraft pick Eriq Zavaleta may be used as either a forward or defender.
Waived GK Bryan Meredith, MF Michael Seamon, DF Daniel Steres and GK Andrew Weber.
Traded DF Jeff Parke to Philadelphia Union in exchange for allocation money and 2013 first round Supplemental Draft pick.
Re-signed DF Jhon Kennedy Hurtado and DF Patrick Ianni.
Signed DF DeAndre Yedlin as club's first Homegrown Player.
Selected Two players in 2013 MLS SuperDraft: FW/DF Eriq Zavaleta (Indiana; 10th overall) and DF Dylan Remick (Brown; 35th overall).
Loaned FW Fredy Montero to Millonarios of Colombia. Signed to multi-year contract extension with Sounders FC.
Seattle Holds Five Picks in Tuesday's Supplemental Draft
Seattle will look to add more depth to its roster on Tuesday in the 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft. The club holds four natural selections plus the 5th overall pick, acquired via trade. It will be Seattle's third Supplemental Draft, in which the club has made seven selections. The lone remaining Supplemental Draft choice on Seattle's roster is goalkeeper Josh Ford. Sounders FC also acquired midfielder Andy Rose from Real Salt Lake in exchange for the rights to defender Leone Cruz during the 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft. Rose was taken by Salt Lake with the 6th overall selection.
1 (11) Josh Ford GK Connecticut
2 (29) Corey Attaway MF UC Irvine
3 (47) Sean Morris MF Seattle U.
2 (33) Tim Pontius DF UCSB
2 (34) Jason Banton MF Liverpool Reserves
3 (53) Abdul Aman FW Washington
4 (72) Wes Feighner DF Cal Poly
2013 MLS Supplemental Draft Picks
5th overall (acquired via trade with Philadelphia Union)
16th overall (natural)
35th overall (natural)
54th overall (natural)
73rd overall (natural)
On January 21, 2009, Sounders FC held its first practice in franchise history at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center...Sounders FC Owner Paul Allen celebrates his birthday on January 21...On Tuesday, January 22, Mario Martinez and Honduras will face Panama in a Copa Centroamericana match in San Jose, Costa Rica...The Seattle Sports Commission will host its annual Sports Star of the Year awards on January 25 at Benaroya Hall...Defender DeAndre Yedlin will wear No. 2... Mercer Island junior and Sounders Academy forward Jordan Morris was named the 2012 Boys High School State Player of the Year by NSCAA...UANL Tigres, Seattle's opponent in the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals, is currently atop the Liga MX standings with nine points through the first three matches, including one road win and a plus-six goal differential.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2013
- Colin Clark Excited to Get His LA Galaxy Career Underway - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy return to the practice field as preseason begins - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Midfielder Barry Robson Moves On - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Claret-and-Cobalt Heads to Casa Grande, Ariz. for Start of Preseason Training - Real Salt Lake
- Arne Friedrich Receives U.S. Green Card - Chicago Fire
- Three Chicago Fire Midfielders Return to Fold in 2013 - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Sign Forward Jose Valencia to Multi-Year Contract - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Sign Defender Ryan Miller - Portland Timbers
- Weekly Update: Rapids to Present Serna Today - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Begin 2013 Preseason Camp in Ave Maria, Florida - Chicago Fire
- Montero Loaned to Colombia's Millonarios - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Signs John Thorrington - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.