Sounders FC fall to San Jose
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Chris Wondolowski scored the lone goal as Sounders FC fell to the San Jose Earthquakes, 1-0, Saturday night at Buck Shaw Stadium. Michael Gspurning made a season-high four saves as Seattle played its first MLS road match of the 2013 season.
In first half stoppage time, Wondolowski gathered the ball outside the top corner of the box and fired a low shot off the far post and into the net. It was the defending MLS MVP's second goal of the season and first from the run of play.
Seattle nearly equalized less than a minute later when Mauro Rosales found Sammy Ochoa with a cross, but his header was blocked.
The Rave Green continued to press in the second half, but failed to find the equalizer. In the 55th minute, Ochoa headed a Leo Gonzalez cross to Rosales inside the box, but the Argentine's side-winding shot rolled wide of the post. Ochoa found Rosales again in the 75th minute for a shot at the top of the box, but Earthquakes goalkeeper Jon Busch made a diving save, then blocked Estrada's rebound attempt. In the 88th minute, Osvaldo Alonso rocketed a short free on frame that was saved.
San Jose continued to attack in the second half, but Gspurning made several highlight-reel saves to keep the game close. In the 47th minute, he leapt to make a save on a Wondolowski shot inside the box. In the 61st minute, he made a diving save on an open header by Shea Salinas in the six-yard box, then dove to stop another Salinas shot inside the box in the 73rd minute.
In second half stoppage time Gspurning made a foot-save in a one-on-one situation after Ramiro Corrales got behind the defense.
Sounders FC returns to action next Saturday with another road match against Real Salt Lake.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 24, 2013
- Chivas USA Routs Chicago, 4-1, on the Road - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Fall 4-1 to Chivas USA - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Train Ahead of Nationally Televised Match vs. New York Red Bulls - Philadelphia Union
- Registration Opens Today for SueÃ±o MLS 2013 - MLS
- Impact Wins First Reserve League Game 3-0 over Red Bulls - Montreal Impact
- Galaxy Return to Winning Form in "Dominating" Victory over Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Dynamo win over Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo
- Galaxy win 1-0 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Card Dooms Bad Luck Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC fall to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Wondolowski Winner Sends San Jose Earthquakes Past Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Loses 2-0 at FC Dallas - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Remains Perfect at Home with 2-0 Win over Real Salt Lake - FC Dallas
- Mattocks scores, but 'Caps lose first match of the season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.