Sounders FC 2 Defeats Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
TUKWILA, WASH. - Sounders FC 2 (4-9-5, 17 points) recorded a 2-1 win over Colorado Switchbacks FC (8-5-3, 27 points) on Sunday evening at Starfire Stadium. Darwin Jones and Victor Mansaray netted second-half goals for the host side, as S2 earned its first points of the season when trailing at halftime. Next up, S2 takes its two-match unbeaten streak into a road fixture at Arizona United SC (7:30 p.m. PT / Live-stream on SoundersFC.com.)
In the 12th minute, Seattle provided the match's first dangerous chance when Michael Farfan's shot landed just wide on a cross by defender Nouhou Tolo. It was Switchbacks FC, though, that began the scoring in the 28th minute on a goal by forward Mike Seth. Seth sent a glancing header to Luke Vercollone, who immediately passed back to Seth. Seth's ensuing touch resulted in a low-strike past goalkeeper Tyler Miller.
Although Andy Craven nearly tied the score in the 40th minute when his header drifted above the crossbar, S2 entered halftime with a 1-0 deficit. Prior to Sunday, S2 was 0-6-0 when trailing after the first 45 minutes.
Seattle found the equalizer in the 60th minute on a goal by Jones. Moments after entering the match in a reserve role, midfielder Zach Mathers left a ground-level, corner-kick pass at the top of the scoring area for midfielder Jordan Schweitzer. The first-year Homegrown Player then sent an impressive pass to Jones, who was stationed in a crowded area in front of goal. The zipping pass directed off Jones' foot and into the net for his first goal of the year.
One minute later, Mathers' shot went just wide, while his attempt in the 75th minute barely missed the top right corner of the net. Sparked by Mathers' substitution and a second-yellow card ejection by Switchbacks FC defender Joe Greenspan, S2 controlled the match's tempo for the final 30 minutes of the contest.
S2 found the game-winning tally in the 87th minute. Schweitzer sent a pass to Myron Samuel, who found Mansaray streaking into Switchbacks FC's area on a through-ball. Mansaray collected the pass, took one touch and then rocketed a shot into the top-left corner of the net for his team-leading fourth goal of the season.
S2 visits Arizona United SC on Saturday, July 10 for an evening contest (7:30 p.m. PT / Live-streamed on SoundersFC.com), which marks the second meeting of the season between the two sides. All information on the S2 Flex Plan, season tickets, group tickets or single-match options, can be found www.SoundersFC.com/S2/Tickets .
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 10, 2016
- Sounders FC 2 Defeats Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Red Bulls Play to 0-0 Draw with Portland - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Earn Away Point with 0-0 Draw against Red Bulls - Portland Timbers
- Post-Game Quote Sheets: Red Bulls 0, Portland 0 - New York Red Bulls
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Play to 0-0 Draw with Portland Timbers - New York Red Bulls
- National Training and Coaching Development Center Unveiled in KC - Sporting Kansas City
- Fiery De Leeuw Makes MLS Debut - Chicago Fire
- MLS Newsstand - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Emil Larsen to Lyngby Boldklub - Columbus Crew SC
- Despite Latest Road Loss, Veljko Paunovic "Proud" Of Effort - Chicago Fire
- Quote Sheet: Real Salt Lake 1-1 Montreal Impact - Real Salt Lake
- Post-Game Quotes Portland vs. FC Kansas City - Portland Timbers
- Impact Takes Road Point at Real Salt Lake - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Comes Back for a Draw against Montreal - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.