Sound Tigers Recall Jones, Cornell from ECHL
Carolina BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers, proud AHL affiliate of the New York Islanders, announced Sunday that forward Kellen Jones (pictured) and defenseman Mike Cornell have been recalled from the Worcester Railers H.C. of the ECHL.
Jones, 27, is fourth on the Railers in scoring this season with 21 points (nine goals, 12 assists) in 34 games and has notched a point in eight of his last 10 contests. He spent all of last season with the Sound Tigers and earned AHL career highs in goals (six) and points (15) in 58 games. The Trail, B.C. native has 38 points (15 goals, 23 assists) in 144 career AHL games with the Sound Tigers, Utica Comets, Bakersfield Condors and Oklahoma City Barons.
Prior to turning pro, Jones played four seasons at Quinnipiac University and notched 127 points (53 goals, 74 assists) in 158 games with the Bobcats. He served as alternate captain during his junior and senior seasons and played all four years with his twin brother and current Sound Tigers forward, Connor. The two brothers have also spent the majority of their professional careers together, including last season in Bridgeport.
Kellen was selected by the Edmonton Oilers in the seventh round (#202) of the 2010 NHL Draft.
Cornell, 29, played one game with the Sound Tigers this season and helped Bridgeport earn a point in an overtime loss against the Rochester Americans on Jan. 5. He also recorded 16 points (two goals, 14 assists) in 29 games with the Railers and leads all Worcester defensemen in assists. Cornell is third on the team overall in assists and tied for fifth in scoring.
A native of Franklin, Mass., Cornell played 35 games with Bridgeport during the 2013-14 season and recorded four goals and six assists. He has 30 points (10 goals, 20 assists) in 131 career AHL contests with the Sound Tigers, St. John's IceCaps, Charlotte Checkers and Springfield Falcons.
In addition, the fifth-year blue-liner has logged 41 points (seven goals, 34 assists) and a plus-22 rating in 96 career ECHL games with the Railers and Florida Everblades. Prior to turning pro, the 5'11, 190-pound skater played four seasons at the University of Maine and served as team captain during his senior campaign in 2012-13. Cornell produced 30 points (six goals, 24 assists) in 130 games with the Black Bears.
Next Time Out: The Sound Tigers return to North Carolina next week to face the Charlotte Checkers in a pair of games at Bojangles Coliseum. The first of two matchups takes place on Tuesday, Jan. 16 at 7 p.m.
About the Bridgeport Sound Tigers: Founded in 2001, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Hockey Club is the top minor league affiliate of the New York Islanders. Don't miss your chance to take part in the family fun entertainment happening every home game at Webster Bank Arena.
American Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- San Antonio Reassigns Forward Thomas Frazee to Norfolk Admirals - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Wild Overtime Thriller at Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- San Antonio Splits Weekend Series with Milwaukee After 3-1 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 2 at Manitoba 3 - Manitoba Moose
- T-Birds Fly Past P-Bruins After Three-Goal Second Period - Providence Bruins
- San Antonio Recalls Forwards J.C. Beaudin and Shawn St. Amant From - San Antonio Rampage
- LA Kings Kings Recall Forward Jonny Brodzinski from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Winnipeg Jets Release - Jets Reassign Hutchinson, Lemieux And - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Recall Jones, Cornell from ECHL - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hogs Extend Point Streak in Last-Second OT Loss to Condors - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Down Rockford in Overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- POSTGAME - San Diego 2 vs. Tucson 4 - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Mist Wolves to Split Season Series - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Shutout Amerks, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland's Korpisalo Cools off Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap: Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Tokarski (29 Saves) Backstops 2-1 Win over Rival Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Monsters Cap Lengthy Road Trip with 2-1 Win Over - Cleveland Monsters
- Recap - Sound Tigers 2, Bruins 1 (SO) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Belleville Senators 4, Hartford Wolf Pack 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- COMRIE'S 3-POINT NIGHT CASTS OUT DEVILS IN OT - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Bite Bruins in Shootout 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Run out of Gas in 3-1 Loss to Marlies - Charlotte Checkers
- RECAP: Penguins' Pedan Scores Hat Trick in 4-3 Win over Rocket - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 5 at Manitoba 4 - Manitoba Moose
- Dominic Turgeon Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canucks Reassign Nikolay Goldobin to the Utica Comets - Utica Comets
- Iowa Wild Recalls Forward Jack Walker from Rapid City - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Recall Forward Michael Joly from Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Louis Domingue to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Bury Barracuda, Extend Point Streak to 4 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Rally in Third to Clip Condors - Chicago Wolves
- Milwaukee Powers Past San Antonio 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Assign Joonas Korpisalo, Tyler Motte - Cleveland Monsters
- Four-Goal Third Period Sends Amerks to 5-2 Win Over - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Claim Ninth Win in Last 11 Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- RECAP: Haggerty's Hat Trick Lifts Penguins Past Senators, 6-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.