Sound Tigers Bite Bruins in Shootout 2-1
Bridgeport, CT - The Providence Bruins fell to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in a shootout Saturday night 2-1 in the second half of their home-and-home series. The P-Bruins got their loan goal from Ryan Fitzgerald while Zane McIntyre made his 22nd start of the season in net.
The first period saw back-and-forth action between both teams with only one whistle stopping play. Despite the good pace and an early edge in shots, Providence couldn't sneak anything by Bridgeport goaltender Chris Gibson. McIntyre was equally as good, stopping any Sound Tigers chance as the teams headed to the locker room scoreless.
Bridgeport cracked the scoreboard first at 6:44 thanks to Connor Jones. Josh Ho-Sang sent a cross-ice pass to Jones in the left circle. He loaded up on a slap-shot and ripped one over the glove of McIntyre for his fourth goal of the season. Providence had some chances and pressure in front, but would enter the break down 1-0.
The Sound Tigers looked like they were about to shutout the P-Bruins for the third time this season, but with 3:03 left Fitzgerald ruined that plan. Zach Senyshyn received the puck in right wing circle from Colby Cave and fired a backhander towards goal. Fitzgerald was there to tip in under the pad of Gibson for his seventh goal of the season and Providence sent the game to overtime knotted 1-1. Neither side had any great chances in the three-on-three extra period, and the game headed to a shootout. Travis St. Denis scored in the second round for Bridgeport, meaning Jordan Szwarz needed to score in order to keep the shootout alive. He would deliver with a goal in the third round, but Mitchell Vande Sompel won it for Bridgeport in their half and the Sound Tigers won by a 2-1 final
McIntyre stopped 17 of 18 shots while Gibson stopped 27 of 28. Providence was 0-4 on the power play and 3-3 on the penalty kill.
The Providence Bruins are the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Boston Bruins, playing their home games at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI. Spanning more than 25 years, the Boston/Providence affiliation is one of the longest and most successful player development partnerships in professional hockey history.
American Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- San Antonio Reassigns Forward Thomas Frazee to Norfolk Admirals - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Wild Overtime Thriller at Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- San Antonio Splits Weekend Series with Milwaukee After 3-1 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 2 at Manitoba 3 - Manitoba Moose
- T-Birds Fly Past P-Bruins After Three-Goal Second Period - Providence Bruins
- San Antonio Recalls Forwards J.C. Beaudin and Shawn St. Amant From - San Antonio Rampage
- LA Kings Kings Recall Forward Jonny Brodzinski from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Winnipeg Jets Release - Jets Reassign Hutchinson, Lemieux And - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Recall Jones, Cornell from ECHL - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hogs Extend Point Streak in Last-Second OT Loss to Condors - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Down Rockford in Overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- POSTGAME - San Diego 2 vs. Tucson 4 - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Mist Wolves to Split Season Series - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Shutout Amerks, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland's Korpisalo Cools off Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap: Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Tokarski (29 Saves) Backstops 2-1 Win over Rival Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Monsters Cap Lengthy Road Trip with 2-1 Win Over - Cleveland Monsters
- Recap - Sound Tigers 2, Bruins 1 (SO) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Belleville Senators 4, Hartford Wolf Pack 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- COMRIE'S 3-POINT NIGHT CASTS OUT DEVILS IN OT - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Bite Bruins in Shootout 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Run out of Gas in 3-1 Loss to Marlies - Charlotte Checkers
- RECAP: Penguins' Pedan Scores Hat Trick in 4-3 Win over Rocket - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 5 at Manitoba 4 - Manitoba Moose
- Dominic Turgeon Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canucks Reassign Nikolay Goldobin to the Utica Comets - Utica Comets
- Iowa Wild Recalls Forward Jack Walker from Rapid City - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Recall Forward Michael Joly from Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Louis Domingue to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Bury Barracuda, Extend Point Streak to 4 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Rally in Third to Clip Condors - Chicago Wolves
- Milwaukee Powers Past San Antonio 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Assign Joonas Korpisalo, Tyler Motte - Cleveland Monsters
- Four-Goal Third Period Sends Amerks to 5-2 Win Over - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Claim Ninth Win in Last 11 Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- RECAP: Haggerty's Hat Trick Lifts Penguins Past Senators, 6-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.