Sound Tigers Add Benoit from Blue Jackets
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers, proud AHL affiliate of the New York Islanders, announced today defenseman Andre Benoit has been loaned to the team by the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Benoit, 34, is a two-time Calder Cup Champion and veteran of 422 AHL games with the Hamilton Bulldogs, Binghamton Senators, Chicago Wolves and Cleveland Monsters. He has 211 points (52 goals, 159 assists) during his AHL career, including five points (one goal, four assists) in 31 contests with Cleveland this season, while serving as an alternate captain.
In addition, Benoit has played more than 180 NHL games with the Ottawa Senators, Colorado Avalanche, Buffalo Sabres and St. Louis Blues, accumulating 48 points (11 goals, 37 assists) and 60 penalty minutes. He signed a one-year, two-way deal with Columbus on July 1, 2017.
A native of St. Albert, Que., Benoit was named to the 2016 AHL All-Star Classic in Syracuse, N.Y. while serving as an alternate captain with Chicago. He also served as Binghamton's team captain in 2012-13 and was named an alternate with the Senators in 2010-11, recording a career-high 55 points (11 goals, 44 assists) in 73 games that season. In addition, he collected 18 points (three goals, 15 assists) in 23 playoff contests and helped the Senators capture the 2011 Calder Cup Championship. Benoit previously won the 2007 Calder Cup with Hamilton, playing in front of Islanders goaltender Jaroslav Halak for much of the year.
Outside of North America, Benoit's 13-year playing career has traveled overseas, making stops in Finland, Sweden and Russia. The 5'11, 190-pound defenseman spent all of last season in Europe, playing 52 games with the Malmo Redhawks of the Swedish Hockey League. He registered 24 points (six goals, 18 assists) and 22 penalty minutes.
Prior to turning pro, Benoit played five seasons with the Kitchener Rangers (Ontario Hockey League) and scored 299 points (99 goals, 200 assists) in 342 games. He helped Kitchener to an OHL title and the Memorial Cup Championship in 2002-03, and won the William Hanley Trophy as the OHL's Most Sportsmanlike Player that season. In addition, Benoit earned the Leo Lalonde Trophy as the OHL's Overage Player of the Year in 2004-05 after recording more goals (24), assists (53) or points (77) than any defenseman during the season.
Next Time Out: The Sound Tigers return to action tonight with a 7 p.m. matchup against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms at Webster Bank Arena. Take advantage of great concession specials like $1 hot dogs presented by Hummel Bros. and $5 draft beers for those 21 and older, courtesy of Budweiser. Those specials will be available at all first-level concession stands. Fans can follow all of the live action on the Sound Tigers Radio Network and AHL Live, beginning with the pre-game show at 6:45 p.m.
Sunday 4-Packs: The Sound Tigers host their in-state rival, the Hartford Wolf Pack, for the final time this season on Sunday at 3 p.m. "Sunday 4-Packs" highlight every Sunday home game at Webster Bank Arena and are perfect for families. Take advantage of four (4) great seats, four (4) hot dogs, four (4) bags of chips, four (4) soft drinks and four (4) fidget spinners for as low as $99. Call the Sound Tigers front office at 203-345-4813 or CLICK HERE to reserve yours (must be purchased before 3 p.m. on Friday).
Don't Go It Alone: Whether it's a corporate outing, a fundraiser, or just friends getting together, a group outing with the Sound Tigers will guarantee an unforgettable experience filled with fast-paced action on the ice, great music, promotions and contests at an affordable price. The Sound Tigers have a variety of packages and promotional events to offer. Please call the team's front office at 203-345-2300 ext. 7 for more information on the benefits of bringing your group to a future game!
American Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2018
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Forward Rocco Grimaldi from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Tokarski 40-Save Shutout Pushes Win Streak to Four - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Charlotte Dominates Wolf Pack 6-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Claim Second Straight Win, Top IceHogs 3-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Canes Recall Brown from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Nedeljkovic Snags Second Straight Shutout in 6-0 Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Bridgeport records at least 40 shots for the fifth time this season, but falls to 0-3-2-0 against Lehigh Valley - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Defenseman Duncan Siemens from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Hands Down Suspension to Callahan - Bakersfield Condors
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Canucks Recall Philip Holm, Comets Sign Frankie Simonelli - Utica Comets
- Time for Valentine's Day, Admirals Style - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Weekly #19: with Fresh Blood, Bears Head to Canada - Hershey Bears
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Samuel Laberge Reassigned to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Rockford Seeks to Right the Ship against Monsters - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Recall Defender Tommy Hughes from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Iowa Wild Recalls Jack Walker, Reassigns Forward Pavel Jenys - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Sign Forward Caleb Herbert to PTO - San Jose Barracuda
- San Diego Gulls Recall Alex Dostie - San Diego Gulls
- San Antonio Recalls Forward J.C. Beaudin from Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose Sign Lotz, Release Hildebrand - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Sign Forward Michael Kirkpatrick to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- St. Louis Blues Recall Oskar Sundqvist from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Return to PPL Center this Saturday, Sunday - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds Assign Downing, Beauchemin to Manchester (ECHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Weekly: Penguins Return from New England Maintaining First - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Add Benoit from Blue Jackets - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Announce Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Complete Homestand Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Amerks Recall Danforth from Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Red Wings Reassign Sadowy to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Weekly - Cleveland Monsters
- Iowa Downs San Antonio 3-2 for Third Consecutive Win - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.