Soo Vanquishes Jamestown in Shootout, 3-2 (2-1 SO)
Three periods of regulation and an overtime session were not enough to settle matters as the Soo Eagles defeated the Jamestown Ironmen in a shootout 3-2 (2-1 SO).The two teams needed 10 turns to complete the shootout. Jamestown got a shootout goal from Daniel Cesarz. In addition to the clincher, Soo got a shootout goal from Sean Murphy.
The Eagles pulled out the victory even though they were hit with 16 penalty minutes.
Soo was helped by Chris Waterstreet, who had one goal. Waterstreet scored 11:15 into the third period to make the score 2-1 Soo. Pat Thompson assisted on the tally. Soo also got a goal from Cody Von Reuden as well. In addition, Soo received assists from Brandon Adams, Jared VanWormer, and Alexander Taulien, who each chipped in one.
The Ironmen put 35 shots on net during the contest, more than the 28.5 they average per game.
Jamestown was helped by Luc Gerdes, who finished with one goal. Gerdes scored 5:04 into the second period to make the score 1-1. Evan Ritt picked up the assist. Dylan Zink also scored for Jamestown. More assists for Jamestown came via Ryan Doucet, Tyler Dunagan, and Cesarz, who contributed one a piece.
The Eagles' Tyler Marble stopped 33 shots out of the 35 that he faced. Soo registered one goal on five power play opportunities. Tim Shaughnessy made 24 saves for the Ironmen on 26 shots. Jamestown incurred 12 minutes in penalty time with six minors.
North American Hockey League Stories from January 31, 2013
- Wildcats Pounce On Jacks, 6-2 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Weekend Preview: Bulls Host Tornado - Amarillo Bulls
- Bobcats Renew Minot Rivalry with Home-And-Home - Bismarck Bobcats
- Soo Vanquishes Jamestown in Shootout, 3-2 (2-1 SO) - Soo Eagles
- Kalamazoo Makes Multiple Trades for Home Stretch - Kalamazoo Jr. K-Wings
- Janesville Jets To Host Two Community Events - Janesville Jets
- Jr. Blues Trade Fazio to Kalamazoo - Springfield Jr. Blues
- Jr. Blues Host Michigan This Weekend - Springfield Jr. Blues
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.