Sharks Rock Solid, Sweep IceCaps with 4-0 Win
St. John's NFLD - The Worcester Sharks (22-18-1-5, 50pts) swept their two game set in St. John's with a penalty filled 4-0 victory over the IceCaps (21-24-1-2, 45pts) on Wednesday evening in front of another sellout crowd of 6,287 fans at the Mile One Centre. Game three of the six game road trip continues on Sunday afternoon with a 3pm (EST) start in Bridgeport.
Daniil Tarasov, Bracken Kearns, and John McCarthy all scored in the second period for Worcester in a game that featured five fights and 125 penalty minutes. Harri Sateri picked up his first shutout of the season with 21 saves and John McCarthy also scored in the third period. Tim Kennedy finished with two assists as the Sharks improved to 2-0-0-0 on their season long six game road trip.
There was no score but plenty of action in the opening frame with Worcester outshooting St. John's 14-6. Mikael Tam (3rd FM) fought Hunter Tremblay (2nd FM) to set the tone on the opening faceoff followed by Bracken Kearns (6th FM) and Ray Sawada (4th FM) dropping the mitts at 1:16. Heavyweights Jimmy Bonneau (7th FM) and Ryan Schnell (6th FM) scrapped at center ice as the two teams combined for 34 penalty minutes in the first 20 minutes. Eddie Pasquale made 14 saves for the IceCaps and Harri Sateri six stops for the Sharks.
Worcester took control in the second period with three goals on 12 shots to take a 3-0 lead. Daniil Tarasov (6th) gave the Sharks a 1-0 lead at 10:28 after a great feed from behind the net by Tim Kennedy. Bracken Kearns (12th) scored his team leading 8th power play goal after he deflected a blast from Denny Urban past goaltender Eddie Pasquale at 19:03 on a 5-on-3 advantage. Captain John McCarthy (6th) broke a ten game goalless drought with a backhand rebound score at 19:33 assisted by Matt Tennyson and Matt Pelech to give Worcester a 3-0 through 40 minutes.
Captain John McCarthy (7th) gave the Sharks insurance at 10:46 in a third period that was marred by 16 penalties totally 89 penalty minutes. Curt Gogol (7th FM) and Nick Petrecki (2nd FM) dropped the mitts for Worcester in the final frame as Harri Sateri made nine more saves to preserve his first shutout of the season.
The Sharks overall record improves to 22-18-1-5 (50pts in 46gp) and 14-9-0-2 (28pts in 25gp) on the road this season.
Notes: FIVE GUYS BURGERS Three Stars: 3rd star: Daniil Tarasov (GWG) 2nd star: Tim Kennedy (0-2-2) 1st star: John McCarthy (2-0-2)... Final shots were 34-21 in favor of Worcester ... Eddie Pasquale made 30 saves on 34 shots for St. John's in his 12 straight start... Harri Sateri made 21 saves on 21 shots for Worcester in his 10th win.... Worcester went 2-for-4 on the power play, while St. John's went 0-for-5... Worcester had been 2-34 on power pay in last nine games before going 3-7 in St. John's... Taylor Doherty (inj), Sena Acolatse (inj), Jon Matsumoto (sick), Mike Banwell (scr), Brodie Reid (inj), and Danny Groulx (sick) did not dress for Worcester... rookie Daniil Tarasov currently has points in 8 of 9 games (6-4-10)...with the five scraps the Sharks now have 60 fighting majors through 46 games.... Worcester has won five of six games at the Mile One Centre... the sharks were whistled for 70 minutes of penalties.
The Sharks continue their season long six game road trip with a 3pm (EST) start at Bridgeport on Sunday afternoon.
American Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2013
- Goalies Shine as Griffins Shutout Aeros 2-0 - Houston Aeros
- Lehner Bests Boucher in Tight Matchup - Adirondack Phantoms
- McCollum Blanks Houston 2-0 in 100th Game as a Griffin - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bulldogs Take Down Marlies 6-4 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bulldogs Down Marlies 6-4 - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Recalls Jordan Hendry from Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Shut Down Phantoms, 3-0 - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Stifled by Sharks - St. John's IceCaps
- Sharks Rock Solid, Sweep IceCaps with 4-0 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Acquire Center Andrei Loktionov from Kings - Albany Devils
- Heat Sign Goaltender Tyson Sexsmith - Abbotsford Heat
- Win a Chance to Meet Colin Fraser - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Trade Loktionov - Manchester Monarchs
- Coyotes Assign Bolduc to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Berube Reassigned to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Friday's Falcons Game Postponed - Springfield Falcons
- Labatt Blue Bubble Hockey Tournament Presented by the AHL Event Info Announced - Worcester Sharks
- Whale to Hold "Winter Carnival" February 21 at the Russian Lady - Connecticut Whale
- Kings Announce Roster Moves - Manchester Monarchs
- IceCaps Release Lunden from PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Flames Sign Goaltender Danny Taylor - Abbotsford Heat
- 2012-13 Admirals Alumni Game Cancelled - Norfolk Admirals
- Phantoms Weekly - Hot Dogs and Fun Packs - Adirondack Phantoms
- Anthony Nigro Returns from Evansville - Peoria Rivermen
- Johansen Assigned To Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Providence Bruins Game on Friday Rescheduled - Providence Bruins
- Aeros Sign Kirk MacDonald - Houston Aeros
- Hogs Turn the Tables on Texas - Rockford IceHogs
- Texas Falls to Rockford 5-4 in Eleven Round Shootout - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.