Second-Round Picks Focus on Attack, Goalkeeping
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - The spotlight may have shined brightest on top overall pick Andrew Farrell during Thursday afternoon's MLS SuperDraft, but hours later the New England Revolution quietly continued to build a complete squad with a trio of additional picks in the second round.
After tabbing Farrell as the first overall selection, the Revs drafted UNC-Charlotte midfielder Donnie Smith (21st overall), Xavier forward Luke Spencer (23rd overall) and Indiana goalkeeper Luis Soffner (36th overall). Soffner will compete for a spot on a goalkeeping corps which already includes veteran Matt Reis and up-and-comer Bobby Shuttleworth, while Smith and Spencer could both potentially add different elements to the attack.
"Spencer's an out-and-out forward. We feel good that he was there at the 23rd pick," said General Manager Michael Burns. "And at the 21st pick to get Donnie Smith, he has some versatility as well. He can play left midfield, can play wide in an attacking role. We felt fortunate that those two players were available at 21 and 23."
Smith was one of the stars of the 2011 NCAA Tournament, claiming College Cup All-Tournament team honors after helping guide the 49ers to the national championship game. A speedy winger, the 22-year-old scored 18 goals and added 10 assists in 82 collegiate appearances.
"Donnie Smith is a little bit different in this draft," said head coach Jay Heaps. "He's probably one of the true wide players in the draft. For us, he's very strong athletically. He can get by people with his left foot, down to the touchline, put crosses in. He's someone that's going to be more dangerous on the attack for us."
More physically imposing is Spencer, a 6-foot-2, 192-lb forward who exploded for 14 goals and eight assists in just 22 appearances during a stellar senior season at Xavier. The Revolution thought highly enough of Spencer to invite him to the club's own Combine, held in December at Gillette Stadium. It was at that event when New England solidified its interest in the hulking striker.
"Luke Spencer, for me, is a big strong forward who can hold up the ball pretty well," said Heaps. "He's someone who came to our Combine, as well, so we've seen him not only play at Xavier, but also up close and personal at our own Combine. That's always good when you can get that familiarity with a player. We feel like we've seen him take a lot of touches, play a lot of games. That's important when you're deciding."
Major League Soccer Stories from January 17, 2013
- Second-Round Picks Focus on Attack, Goalkeeping - New England Revolution
- MLS Announces 2012 Club and Executive Award Winners - MLS
- Farrell Humbled to be Top Pick, Eager for Next Step - New England Revolution
- Union Select Don Anding and Stephen Okai in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Philadelphia Union
- Crew Selects Two Players at 2013 MLS SuperDraft in Indianapolis - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Selects Two Players in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting KC Selects MF Mikey Lopez in MLS SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Select Dylan Tucker-Gangnes in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Portland Timbers
- Impact Selects Four Players at 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo Select Jason Johnson and Jimmy Nealis in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Select Emery Welshman After a Pair of Deals - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Make Three Selections in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- New England Revolution Select Andrew Farrell with First Overall Selection in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Selects Two Players in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Select Four at 2013 MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- Tickets for D.C. United's Home Opener to Go on Sale Saturday - D.C. United
- FC Dallas Picks up Two Players in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Colorado Rapids Select Three in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Select Yazid Atouba Emane in Second Round of 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
- San Jose Earthquakes Add Muller, Delgado in MLS SuperDraft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Select Striker/Wingers Manneh and Hurtado in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Red Bulls Select Midfielder Ian Christianson in 2013 MLS SuperDraft Second Round - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Selects Maryland Defender Taylor Kemp with 17th Overall Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Chivas USA Selects Midfielder Carlos Alvarez with Second-Overall Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Introduces Ivy Funds as Club's First-Ever Jersey Sponsor - Sporting Kansas City
- Toronto FC Select Kyle Bekker with Third Overall Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Toronto FC
- Revs Draft Andrew Farrell with #1 Pick in MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- Updated Selection Order Now Available for 2013 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs Javier Morales - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Sign Chilean Winger Kevin Harbottle - Colorado Rapids
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire F Mike Fucito from Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Acquire Second-Round Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft from San Jose - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.