Second Overall Import Draft Selection, Alexander Khovanov Arrives in Moncton
MONCTON N.B. - The Moncton Wildcats are excited to announce the arrival of forward Alexander Khovanov. Alexander was drafted second overall this year in the 2017 CHL Import Draft, however, this top ranked centerman was unable to report at the start of the season due to illness.
The 17-year-old Russian native, stands at 5'11, weighs 179lbs and was rated as one of the top prospects eligible for this year's 2018 NHL Entry Draft. "Alex can be a special player; as a number one center in his home country, he excelled in his age group. We hope that will transfer into the CHL and he will become that elite player we feel he can be," said Director of Hockey Operations, Roger Shannon.
"Alex has endured more than most young hockey players ever do, with an ankle injury and then contracting Hepatitis, said Shannon. "Not being able to play hockey since March, he is finally cleared of both and ready to start on the path he always had in mind for himself. A lot of people over the past nine months have played roles in making his dreams come true, and he is ready to start the journey."
During last season playing for Irbis Kazan of the MHL, Alexander recorded 22 points in 29 regular season games played. He was also part of the U17 World Hockey Challenge Russian team that came away with a bronze medal from the event. In 2016 he also added some impressive stats as captain of the Russian Youth Olympic Team, capturing the title of most assists and most points in the tournament while leading his team to a bronze medal.
"We are excited and really looking forward to helping Alex get his CHL career going in Moncton and help him develop into the player we know he can be" said Roger Shannon.
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from December 17, 2017
- Eagles Fall to Islanders in Charlottetown - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
- Subway - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Shortlist for 2019 Mastercard Memorial Cup Bid Presentations - QMJHL
- Sea Dogs Trade Melancon to Shawinigan - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Eagles Fall 5-2 to Mooseheads in Final Home Game Before Break - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
- 15 QMJHL players to play at the 2018 Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - QMJHL
- Second Overall Import Draft Selection, Alexander Khovanov Arrives in Moncton - Moncton Wildcats
- QMJHL Ultramar Player of the Week - QMJHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.