Schenn, Calvert To Share The C
Brandon, Manitoba - The Brandon Wheat Kings have announced that they will have Co-Captains for the 2009-10 Western Hockey League season.
Late Friday afternoon, the WHL club announced that 18-year old Brayden Schenn and 20-year old Matt Calvert will share the role of Captain, replacing defenceman Keith Aulie who graduated to the American Hockey League's Abbotsford Heat this year after serving as the 51st captain in team history in 2008-09.
Schenn and Calvert were the final two players to rejoin the Wheat Kings this fall, after impressive National Hockey League camps with Los Angeles and Columbus respectively.
The two linemates will make their first appearance as co-captains Friday night when the Wheat Kings close out a 4-game homestand against the visiting Kootenay Ice.
This marks the first time in twelve years that the Wheat Kings have employed Co-Captains. The last to share the role were defencemen Burke Henry and Daniel Tetrault.
Wheat Kings' coach and general manager Kelly McCrimmon also announced that 20-year old Jay Fehr and 19-year old Colby Robak will serve as this year's alternate captains.
Tickets to Friday's game are on sale now at the Keystone Centre box office, by calling 726-3555 or online at ticketmaster.ca
Following the game the team will head to Alberta for a 2-game weekend road trip with games in Red Deer and Edmonton on Sunday and Monday afternoon.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2009
- Blades Double Up Rebels - Saskatoon Blades
- Storm Wins Home Opener Over Indiana, 5-1 - Tri-City Americans
- Hurricanes Dump Oil Kings 5-2 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- How I Spent My Vaction Contest Winner - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Schenn, Glennie Highlight WHL Media Guide - WHL
- This Week In Silvertips Hockey - Everett Silvertips
- Schenn, Calvert To Share The C - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pepsi Kids Club - Kootenay Ice
- Blades Open Alberta Road Trip in Red Deer - Saskatoon Blades
- Wheat Kings To Test The Ice Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings