Sauer Returns from AHL; Traded to Las Vegas
Goaltender Billy Sauer has been returned to the Gladiators from the Worcester Sharks of the American Hockey League and has been traded to the Las Vegas Wranglers for future considerations.
Sauer was called up to Worcester on Friday, February 11th but did not appear in action for the Sharks as he backed up Daren Machesney in the Sharks 5-0 win over Springfield that night.
In 18 games this season with Gwinnett, Sauer earned a 6-8-1 record with the Gladiators, a 2.96 goals against average and a .907 save percentage. He made 32 saves in a 1-0 win over South Carolina on November 26th and earned ECHL Goalie of the Week honors.
Under contract to the Lake Erie Monsters of the American Hockey League last year, Sauer saw action with four ECHL teams in the 2009-10 season. He began the year with the Charlotte Checkers and earned a 1-1-1 record in five games. He appeared in four games with Toledo and then won both games he started for the Las Vegas Wranglers. He concluded the season with the Alaska Aces and earned a 1.55 GAA and a .936 save percentage in five games.
Sauer went 5-7-1 in 15 games in the AHL with the Monsters last year. He posted a 3.09 GAA, had a .901 save percentage and also had an assist on February 6th against Rockford.
The Rochester, New York, native skated four seasons at the University of Michigan from 2005-2009. In 2007-08, he posted a 30-4-3 record, led the nation in wins and helped the Wolverines reach the NCAA Frozen Four. He set single-season school records for goals-against average with a 1.95 and save percentage with a .924. Sauer was also named to the NCAA East Regional All-Tournament team.
The 6-foot-2, 180-pound netminder earned a 71-30-8 record with a 2.56 GAA and .908 save percentage in 114 career collegiate contests. He was a seventh-round pick of the Colorado Avalanche in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft with the 201st overall selection.
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2011
- No Surrender for Devils in 5-4 Win at Elmira - Trenton Devils
- Walleye Sneak Past Cyclones in Shootout, 3-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Drop Series Opener to Devils, 5-4 - Elmira Jackals
- Reading Royals Weekly - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Gearing up to "Stop Polio Cold" - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder at Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Sauer Returns from AHL; Traded to Las Vegas - Atlanta Gladiators
- Monast Recalled by Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Francis Assigned to Las Vegas - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Urquhart Recalled; Grant Reassigned to Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Gill Returns to K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Jackals Announce Transactions - Elmira Jackals
- Condors Swap Defensemen with Florida, Pick up Paquet - Bakersfield Condors
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati Vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye T-Shirt Contest Winners Announced - Toledo Walleye
- David Phillips Signs PTO Contract with the Lake Erie Monsters - Toledo Walleye
- Blades Swing Deal for Bakersfield's David - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Add Trio of Players - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Game Preview: Trenton at Elmira - Elmira Jackals
- Sauve Becomes 462nd ECHL Player to Reach NHL - ECHL
- Everblades D-Man Lawson Recalled to AHL - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Today - February 16 - ECHL
- Salmon Kings' Sauve Makes NHL Debut with Canucks - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Salmon Kings Rout Condors - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Salmon Kings Power Past the Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Alaska Prevails 4-3 in Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Goldie Leads Aces in 4-3 Comeback Win Over Utah - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.