Sardinha's three-run walkoff home run gives Thunder 3-2 win
(Trenton, NJ)- Bronson Sardinha's three-run homer in the bottom of the 9th Inning gave Trenton a 3-2 win over Reading on Wednesday night. The win is the third "walkoff" win for Trenton on their current 7-game homestand.
Trenton (9-15) trailed 2-0 entering the 9th Inning thanks to six shutout innings by Reading starter Brian Mazone and strong work from relievers Luke Lockwood and Tim McClaskey. But reliever Adam Shafer gave up a single to CF Vince Faison to start the inning and then walked SS J.T. Stotts. With Gabe Lopez up, Faison was picked off 2nd Base by Reading C Jason Jaramillo for the first out. But Shafer (0-2) walked Lopez and then allowed the three-run homer to Sardinha that ended the game.
The win went to Trenton's J.B. Cox, his first Double-A win. Cox (1-0) worked three scoreless innings of relief with one walk and two strikeouts. Thunder starter Steven White earned a no-decision with two runs allowed over six innings.
Reading (10-14) scored single runs off White in the 3rd and 5th Innings for a 2-0 lead. LF John Castellano, who was 4-for-4 in the game, collected an RBI single in the third for a 1-0 lead. CF Michael Bourn delivered a sacrifice fly in the fifth for the second Reading run.
The series concludes on Thursday at 7:05 PM. 19-year-old Philip Hughes, the #1 prospect of the N.Y. Yankees, makes his Double-A debut tomorow. He will start against Reading's Allen Davis (0-0, 1.50).
- Sardinha is now 11-for-19 during his current four-game hit streak with 2 HR, 3 R, 4 RBI.
- Of the nine wins for Trenton on the season, seven have been recorded by the Thunder bullpen.
- This was the sixth straight game in which Trenton has collected at least two doubles.
Eastern League Stories from May 3, 2006
- Curve come back in a big way, top SeaWolves 11-5 - Altoona Curve
- Sardinha's three-run walkoff home run gives Thunder 3-2 win - Trenton Thunder
- Andrade becomes 11th Fisher Cat to reach Major Leagues - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox beat Fisher Cats, 8-4, Wednesday night - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Today's Sea Dogs Game Postponed - Portland Sea Dogs
- Akron Comes From Behind For Win - Binghamton Mets
- Twomley joins Dogs, pair head to DL - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox second telecast hits the air Saturday - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets Game - Binghamton Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.