San Diego 2 vs. San Jose 3
Brandon Mashinter's goal at 5:38 of the final period sealed a 3-2 San Jose Barracuda win over the San Diego Gulls at Valley View Casino Center.
Kevin Roy scored two third period goals 2:02 apart to tie the game at 2-2. Roy's two goals marked his second multi-goal game of the season (also Oct. 7 at Tucson) and extended his career high point streak to six games (4-59) dating back to Nov. 4. Roy now has 13 points (5-813) his last nine games.
Reto Berra stopped 43-of-46 shots faced, tied for the most shots he has faced this season (Jan. 5 vs. San Jose in a 5-0 shutout). Despite the setback, Berra has posted a 2.16 goals-against average and .939 save percentage with one shutout his last seven starts.
Kalle Kossila, Corey Tropp, Dennis Rasmussen and Julius Nattinen each recorded assists.
Sam Carrick appeared in his 300th AHL contest tonight.
Attendance was 12,920, a sellout. San Diego has sold out three games this season (also Oct. 14 and Nov. 10). The Gulls continue to lead the AHL in attendance (9,386 average).
San Diego Gulls Kevin Roy, on the game, "We had some ups and downs. I think when we play our style, put it in deep and go to work we are all over them. We just need to be better 60 minutes and take care of the puck. It fed a lot of their offense there so you take care of the puck and don't let those shots against. The good thing is we are back tomorrow against the same team so we can get that done." On his two goals in the third, "The first one it was just a good change, I got off the bench and got a nice pass and the D had a tough gap because I was getting off the bench so I just made a little move to get out of the way and took a shot on net and it ended up going in. The second one was a power play and it was a good feed from Kossila and I got it back to him and he hit the post and then I just put it in the back of the net." On their tight schedule, "It can't really be, if you are playing professional hockey you got to be ready every night and you have to play 60 minutes."
Head Coach Dallas Eakins, on the disallowed goal late in the third period, "The referee made a mistake. He lost sight of the puck, it was still loose. It's a good goal, but his job is, and he couldn't see it, so an honest mistake by the referee." On the game, "It was up and down. We gave them two goals, the first one and the third one. The shorthanded goal was just one that was bad luck. It jumped over our stick. But I don't care. On any night you can't gift a team two goals. It's going to come back and bite you. I like the way that we kept playing, staying in it, and it was disheartening to get that last one called back because I thought our guys really worked hard through the second half of the game." On the busy schedule lately, "It is certainly a time where we could use a little bit more rest. I am big on that, but hey that's life of a professional hockey player. We are not going to use lots of games as an excuse ever here."
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- Taylor and Tiffels Reassigned to Penguins from Nailers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Sign Adam Comrie to AHL Contract - Utica Comets
- Winnipeg Jets RECALL LEMIEUX FROM THE MOOSE - Manitoba Moose
- McINTYRE NAMED CCM/AHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Zane McIntyre Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- BLUE JACKETS TRADE DEFENSEMAN JOHN RAMAGE TO ARIZONA COYOTES - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Release Chris Langkow from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'CANES ASSIGN McKEOWN TO CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- D Travis Sanheim Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 1, - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PENGUINS FALL IN OVERTIME TO WOLF PACK, 1-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Set Franchise Record with 10th Consecutive Home Win - Chicago Wolves
- FORSLING ASSIGNED TO ICEHOGS - Rockford IceHogs
- MONSTERS FALL IN CHICAGO, 3-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-BRUINS WIN 2-0 BEHIND McINTYRE's SECOND SHUTOUT - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Fall in Overtime to Checkers - Rochester Americans
- TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING RECALL MATTHEW PECA, MICHAEL BOURNIVAL FROM SYRACUSE CRUNCH - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Joe Hicketts - Grand Rapids Griffins
- HOGS FIGHT BACK BUT COME UP SHORT AGAINST GRIFFINS. - Rockford IceHogs
- PIRRI, TYNAN HELP WOLVES BASTE BAKERSFIELD - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Knock Down IceHogs, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Texas 5 at Manitoba 1 - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Falls to Tucson in Overtime 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Under the Stars in Outdoor Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Moves into Second Place with 5-3 Win against Milwaukee - Iowa Wild
- Gust Scores in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- COMETS TOP LINE PROPELS UTICA TO VICTORY. - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers 3, Bruins 2. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Speed by Checkers with 4-1 Win. - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Come up Short in Bridgeport, Fall to Sound Tigers 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 4-2. - Syracuse Crunch
- HURRICANES RECALL McKEOWN FROM CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Brandon Halverson, Defenseman Sergey - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blue Jackets Recall Markus Hannikainen, Dean - Cleveland Monsters
- Defenseman Anton Cederholm Reassigned to Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- San Diego 2 vs. San Jose 3 - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Score Three Early, Win 5-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Falls to Bakersfield 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Recap: Texas 4 at Manitoba 0. - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Earns Point Behind Ville Husso's 53 Saves in 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Drop Monsters with Three-Goal Third - Rockford IceHogs
- Bear Wins It in Overtime for Condors, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 3, Utica Comets 2 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Lose to Marlies, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Late Goal by Cross Gives P-Bruins 1-0 Win over Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Monsters Clipped by IceHogs on Home Ice, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- RECAP: Penguins' Win Streak Halted in 1-0 Loss at Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Comeback Falls Short in Overtime - Utica Comets
- IceHogs to Host Outdoor Practice in Belvidere on January 24 - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Kyle Rau from Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.