May 13, 2017 - United Soccer League (USL) - San Antonio FC
SAN ANTONIO FC EXTEND UNBEATEN STREAK TO NINE MATCHES AFTER 0-0 DRAW VS. SOUNDERS 2
SAFC Earns Point in Front of Sellout Crowd of 8,005
SAN ANTONIO, TX - San Antonio FC recorded a 0-0 draw against Seattle Sounders FC 2 on Saturday night at Toyota Field in front of its third-highest attendance in club history. 8,005 fans witnessed the club extend its undefeated start in 2017 to nine matches.
"Seattle came in with a game plan and stuck to it," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "We had a lot of possession and we limited their chances. You look at tonight and we kept it at zero, earned another point, and we're still undefeated on the season so far."
The match proved to be a battle in possession with both clubs exchanging turns in the attack. SAFC came close to scoring on several occasions, including a series of back-to-back chances from a set piece that almost resulted in a goal, but neither team was unable to open the scoring.
San Antonio FC goalkeeper Diego Restrepo recorded his third clean sheet of the season, tying the league-lead and SAFC keeper Matt Cardone's tally for the club so far this season. Restrepo has now appeared in five matches and started in four, and has conceded two goals while recording nine saves on the season.
SAFC midfielder Victor Araujo made his return to the pitch after suffering a season-ending injury in June, 2016 against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC. Araujo played 14 minutes after substituting for forward AJ Ajeakwa in the 76th minute.
"It's great to be back," Araujo said. "It's been a long 10 or 11 months of recovery. I've been training and the coaching staff and everyone have been great and helped me to get ready for my first game. It takes time to get ready and get the fitness back, but now I get to come back and get ready for our next battle on Wednesday."
San Antonio FC will return to action on Wednesday, May 17 as the club begins its Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on the road against Houston Dutch Lions (NPSL). The Alamo City club will then return to USL action on Saturday, May 20 as it hosts Phoenix Rising FC at Toyota Field.
Disciplinary Summary: SAFC: Yellow Card (Michael Reed 30') Sounders 2: Yellow Card (Denso Uylsse 38') SAFC: Yellow Card (Ben Newnam 45') SAFC: Yellow Card (Rafa Castillo 81') Sounders 2: Yellow Card (Ray Saari 87') SAFC: Yellow Card (Victor Araujo 90') Sounders 2: Yellow Card (Rodrigue Ele 90')
Attendance: 8,005 (sellout)
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Diego Restrepo; D: Ben Newnam (Shawn Chin 83'), Sebasiten Ibeagha, Stephen McCarthy, Greg Cochrane; M: Pecka, Rafa Castillo, Michael Reed (c) (Devin Vega 58'), Kris Tyrpak, Billy Forbes; F: AJ Ajeakwa (Victor Araujo 76')
Substitutions Not Used: Lee Johnston, Ryan Roushandel, Aly Alberto Hassan, Mark O'Ojong
* San Antonio FC continued their unbeaten run on Saturday after drawing 0-0 against Seattle Sounders FC 2 at Toyota Field...the club has extended its unbeaten streak to nine matches (seven wins, two draws)...SAFC currently sits in first place in the Western Conference standings with 23 points
* San Antonio FC recorded its second-highest crowd of the season and second sellout of 2017, welcoming 8,005 fans to Toyota Field...marks the third-highest attendance in SAFC history behind 4/9/16 (8,466) and 4/1/17 (8,081)...the club is now averaging 7,188 fans per game this season
* SAFC midfielder Pecka earned his first SWBC Man of the Match award, completing 93.4 percent of his passes, which ranked second on the club behind Devin Vega who completed 100 percent of his 17 passes
* SAFC kept its sixth clean sheet in nine matches, which is tied for first in the USL...goalkeeper Diego Restrepo collected his third straight clean sheet in the draw...defender Sebastien Ibeagha led the team with eight clearances while Greg Cochrane led with four tackles
* SAFC midfielder Victor Araujo made his return to the pitch after recovering from a knee injury he suffered in June of 2016...Araujo played 14 minutes and completed four passes...SAFC midfielder Mark O'Ojong made his first appearance in the club's 18-man squad but did not get into the game
About Spurs Sports & Entertainment
Spurs Sports & Entertainment is the premier provider of sports and entertainment in South Texas. SS&E owns and operates the San Antonio Spurs (NBA), San Antonio Rampage (AHL), San Antonio Stars (WNBA), Austin Spurs (NBA Development League), San Antonio FC (USL) and also manages the day-to-day operations of the AT&T Center and Toyota Field.
# # SanAntonioFC.com # #