Saltdogs' McGill Sold to Chicago Cubs
February 4, 2009 - American Association (AA) News Release
DURHAM, NC - The Lincoln Saltdogs have sold the contract of C Shawn McGill to the Chicago Cubs as announced by the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball today. He will report to the Cubs' spring training facilities in Mesa, Arizona later this month.
McGill batted .299 with nine home runs, 43 RBI and 82 hits for the Saltdogs in 2008. The resident of Wakefield, RI finished tied for fourth in the American Association in triples (6) and fifth in on-base percentage (.424). McGill was a Player of the Week recipient for the week of July 14-20.
The 24-year-old was drafted in the 23rd round of the 2006 draft by the Philadelphia Phillies. He played in 2006 with Batavia of the NY-Penn League and 2007 with the Phillies GCL.
McGill becomes the ninth league player purchased by a major league organization since the conclusion of the 2008 season.
Brent Krause (St. Paul Saints) - Milwaukee Brewers
Kris Regas (Sioux Falls Canaries) - Detroit Tigers
Beau Torbert (Sioux Falls Canaries) - Detroit Tigers
Jon Hunton (Fort Worth Cats) - Oakland Athletics
Dan Smith (Pensacola Pelicans) - Baltimore Orioles
Geivy Garcia (Grand Prairie AirHogs) - San Francisco Giants
Paul Phillips (Pensacola Pelicans) - Tampa Bay Rays
Jake Gautreau (Fort Worth Cats) - Tampa Bay Rays
Shawn McGill (Lincoln Saltdogs) - Chicago Cubs
American Association Stories from February 4, 2009
- Vince Moore named Captains Bench Coach - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Cities 97 and KFAN Warm Up Crispin Ice Ball Adventure Series - St. Paul Saints
- Familiar Face, Former All-Star Back in Pels Uniform - Pensacola Pelicans
- Canaries Scout Induction Covered By Mlb.com - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Diablos to Hold Local Tryouts - El Paso Diablos
- Canaries, Cats Swap Bullpen Pitchers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saltdogs' McGill Sold to Chicago Cubs - AA
- McGill Acquired by Cubs Organization - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.