Salmon Kings Trade for Goaltender Zane Kalemba
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Salmon Kings, proud affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks and Manitoba Moose, announced today that they have acquired goaltender Zane Kalemba and future considerations from the Elmira Jackals in exchange for goaltender Daren Machesney.
The Saddle Brook, NJ native joins the Salmon Kings following four starts in Elmira where he posted a 1-0-1 record to go along wit ha 4.40 goals against average and a 0.821 save percentage. Prior to joining the Jackals, Kalemba began the 2010-11 season in the Central Hockey League (CHL) with the Missouri Mavericks. In his one start, the netminder went 0-1-0 to match a 0.821 save percentage and 5.04 goals against average.
The 24-year-old Kalemba enjoyed a four-year junior career in the NCAA with the Princeton University Tigers prior to turning professional. In 108 career starts at school he registered a 57-44-5 mark. This included nine shutouts, a 2.46 goals against average and a save percentage of 0.912. During his time as a Tiger, Kalemba set school records for games played (108), wins (57), save percentage (0.912) and shutouts (9), and also accumulated All-Ivy Second Team honors twice. During the 2008-09 season, Kalemba posted the best statistical season for a Princeton netminder, going 22-10-1 with an 0.932 save percentage, a goals against average of 1.82 and two shutouts. His campaign earned him to the NCAA ECAC Second All-American Team, All-Academic Team and First All-Star Team. Kalemba was also named the NCAA ECAC Player of the Year and NCAA Ivy League Player of the Year, on the back of four Goaltender of the Week awards.
The 5-11, 185 lb goaltender began his junior career during the 2004-05 season in the United States Hockey League (USHL). Split between the Tri-City Storm and Green Bay Gamblers, Kalemba finished the year with a 13-23-2 record, as well as one shutout, a 3.27 goals against average and a 0.890 save percentage.
Machesney moves to the Elmira Jackals after starting six games with the Salmon Kings this year, going 1-4-0 while accruing a goals against average of 4.10 and a 0.852 save percentage.
The Salmon Kings travel to Anchorage this week for a two-game set versus the Alaska Aces on Wednesday, December 8th and Thursday, December 9th. Puck drop for both games is at 8:15 p.m. To watch or listen live, visit www.salmonkings.com. Victoria returns home for a two-game set versus the Ontario Reign with contests on Tuesday, December 28th and Wednesday, December 29th. For tickets call 250-220-7777 or visit www.selectyourtickets.com.
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2010
- Condors Return Home on Friday Following 5-0 Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Cyclones Blank Condors 5-0 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Clip Wings 4-3 Behind Scherer's Two Tallies - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings End Road Trip with Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Players "Giving Moore" For the Holidays - Stockton Thunder
- Goaltender Ben Scrivens Recalled to Toronto - Reading Royals
- Andrew Carroll Returns from Abbotsford - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- Exciting Holiday Events Coming up Next Week with the Road Warriors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Swim North to Battle Royals, Devils - South Carolina Stingrays
- Salmon Kings Trade for Goaltender Zane Kalemba - Victoria Salmon Kings
- DecembeRadio to Perform at Gladiators New Years Eve Game - Atlanta Gladiators
- Jackals Acquire Goaltender Machesney from Salmon Kings - Elmira Jackals
- Greenville's Grumet-Morris Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Kyle Calder Joins the Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Lord Returned from Milwaukee - Wheeling Nailers
- Landry Returns From Sound Tigers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Lemieux Named ECHL Player of the Week - Florida Everblades
- Florida's Lemieux Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: Bakersfield at Cincinnati - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Cross Sticks with Wings Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - December 7 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.