SaberCats Jump to No. 2 in Week 17 AFL vPower Rankings
July 8, 2013 - Arena Football League (AFL) News Release
CHICAGO - For the tenth consecutive week, the Arizona Rattlers (13-2) remain atop the Arena Football vPower Rankings, as tabulated on AFLFieldPass.com.
The defending ArenaBowl champions rolled past the Orlando Predators, 84-56, in Week 16, as quarterback Nick Davila passed for 411 yards and nine scores on the night. The Rattlers will be back in action with an opportunity to lock up the West Division title this Saturday, as they host the New Orleans VooDoo (5-10). Arizona can clinch the top seed in the National Conference with a win and a loss by the Spokane Shock (11-4) this weekend. Kickoff is set for 9:00 p.m. ET on Saturday.
The San Jose SaberCats (11-4) jumped up two spots to No. 2 in the vPower Rankings this week after locking down a second consecutive playoff berth in Week 16. Darren Arbet's squad defeated the San Antonio Talons (8-7), 62-35, to secure at least a wildcard berth in the National Conference postseason. The SaberCats will travel to Pittsburgh this weekend for a matchup with the Power (3-12) in "NET10 Wireless Arena Football Saturday" action on CBS Sports Network. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. ET.
Coming in at No. 3 once again are the Spokane Shock, who also clinched a postseason berth in Week 16. The Shock knocked off the Tampa Bay Storm (7-8), 63-49, and were able to punch their ticket to the playoffs following losses by the Chicago Rush (8-7) and San Antonio Talons. Spokane will try to keep their hopes of a West Division title alive in Week 17 when they travel to Jacksonville for a matchup with the No. 5-ranked Sharks (10-5). Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. ET on Saturday.
Despite a dominant 58-26 victory over Chicago in Week 16, the Philadelphia Soul (10-5) dropped two spots to No. 4 in this week's vPower Rankings. With a win and a Jacksonville loss in Week 17, Philadelphia would become the top seed in the American Conference. The East Division champions host the Utah Blaze (5-10) on Friday, July 12 at 7:35 p.m. ET.
The Jacksonville Sharks did not need to play in Week 16 to clinch their fourth consecutive South Division championship, earning the title after Spokane defeated Tampa Bay. It also marked the first time in AFL history a team has won a division championship in each of their first four seasons of existence. The Sharks will return from the bye week to host the Spokane Shock in Week 17. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. ET.
AFL Field Pass is the online fan club of the NET10 Wireless Arena Football League. The AFL vPower Rankings are calculated on AFLFieldPass.com using vPower, a scoring system based on winning percentage, strength of schedule, scoring percentage, and win-streak. The scale is normalized from 0 (lowest) to 100 (highest).
Week 17 AFL vPower Rankings
Team RECORD WIN PCT SCORING STREAK vPOWER LAST
1. Arizona Rattlers 13-2 0.867 18.8485 0.05 100 1
2. San Jose SaberCats 11-4 0.733 17.2578 0.09 89.5 4
3. Spokane Shock 11-4 0.733 18.0472 0.07 88.5 3
4. Philadelphia Soul 10-5 0.667 18.0793 0.09 87.2 4
5. Jacksonville Sharks 10-5 0.667 16.6903 0.07 75.9 5
6. Chicago Rush 8-7 0.533 16.1107 0.00 44.3 7
7. San Antonio Talons 8-7 0.533 15.1023 0.00 39.5 6
8. Tampa Bay Storm 7-8 0.467 16.2876 0.00 38.9 8
9. New Orleans VooDoo 5-10 0.333 14.2176 0.07 33.3 12
10. Iowa Barnstormers 6-9 0.400 15.9144 0.00 31 9
11. Utah Blaze 5-10 0.333 15.4508 0.00 22.6 10
12. Orlando Predators 5-10 0.333 15.0722 0.00 20.8 11
13. Cleveland Gladiators 3-12 0.200 14.2402 0.05 16.2 14
14. Pittsburgh Power 3-12 0.200 13.2942 0.00 0 13
Arena Football League Stories from July 8, 2013
- Soul Host First Round of Playoffs August 3 - Philadelphia Soul
- Sharks Activate Bernard Morris and Jeff Hughley - Jacksonville Sharks
- SaberCats Jump to No. 2 in Week 17 AFL vPower Rankings - AFL
- Storm vs. San Antonio - Game Preview - Tampa Bay Storm
- AFL Announces Insurance Office of America as Presenting Partner of ArenaBowl XXVI - Tampa Bay Storm
- Utah Blaze OL Shannon Tevaga Takes his Game to New Levels - Utah Blaze
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.