Ryal Bags SL Hitter of the Week Award
MOBILE, Ala. - BayBears second baseman Rusty Ryal has been named the Southern League Hitter of the Week for May 4-11 while posing a .440 batting average with four home runs and 11 RBI in 25 at-bats.
After collecting just six extra-base hits through his first 28 games, but once May rolled around, so did the thunder. Ryal posted a 1.040 slugging percentage for the week while scoring nine runs. On May 5, Ryal started the week strong with a pair of doubles and a home run against Huntsville. Ryal followed that performance with a three-run homer the following night against the Stars.
After a 14-RBI road trip in 10 games at Birmingham and Huntsville, Ryal returned to Hank Aaron Stadium in a big way on May 10 with a double, home run and three runs scored against Jacksonville.
Ryal takes his hacks against left-hander Clayton Kershaw (0-3, 1.08) on Monday night at 7:05 p.m. when the BayBears resume their homestand against the Jacksonville Suns, who were 8-4 winners over the BayBears on Sunday night.
For more information, contact the BayBears at (251) 479-BEAR or log on to www.mobilebaybears.com.
Southern League Stories from May 12, 2008
- BayBears Rally Late for Monday Victory - Jacksonville Suns
- Barons Pound Out 7-2 Win Over D-Jaxx - Birmingham Barons
- BayBears Beat Kershaw, Suns - Mobile BayBears
- Biscuits' Pen Hands Braves Win - Mississippi Braves
- Two HR's by Colvin still not enough as Smokies lose 9-7 - Tennessee Smokies
- Homer Happy Huntsville Wins Again - Huntsville Stars
- Ryal Bags SL Hitter of the Week Award - Mobile BayBears
- Southern League Hitter and Pitcher of the Week Awards - SL
- Rain Postpones Sunday's Game; Double-Header, Tomorrow - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Szymanski Blasts Two Homers, Leads Lookouts to 5-4 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Lookouts to Give Away Free Gas - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Mudcats Blank Lookouts, 4-0 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Strait Blasts Walk-off Homer in 3-2 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.