RW Cameron Abney Assigned to the Thunder
STOCKTON, Calif. - The Stockton Thunder, proud ECHL affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League, announced today that Edmonton has assigned right wing Cameron Abney (AB-nee) to the Thunder from the Oklahoma City Barons of the American Hockey League.
Abney, 21, has skated in three games with the Barons this season and posted seven penalty minutes. He made his Thunder season debut on Oct. 27 at Bakersfield and collected five penalty minutes.
During the 2011-12 season, he earned five points and 132 penalty minutes in 29 ECHL games.
The 6-foot-5 and 205 pound forward was selected by Edmonton in the third round (82nd overall) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and skated in 14 games with Oklahoma City last season, collecting 24 penalty minutes. He also suited up in three Calder Cup Playoff games during the Barons' run to the Western Conference Finals.
Abney, a native of Aldergrove, B.C., played in 180 career junior games with Everett and Edmonton of the Western Hockey League and picked up 37 points and 298 penalty minutes.
The Thunder returns to play tomorrow at Stockton Arena, hosting the Utah Grizzlies at 7:30 p.m.
A two time recipient of the ECHL "Award of Excellence," the Thunder led the ECHL in attendance for four consecutive seasons and drew over 200,000 fans for the seventh consecutive season in 2011-12. Season Tickets, Group Tickets and Mini-Plans for 2012-13 are on sale now. For more information about tickets, merchandise, or other inquiries contact the Stockton Thunder offices at (209) 373-1500 or visit www.StocktonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 15, 2012
- IceMen Edge Cyclones, 4-3 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Connolly Scores Overtime Winner in Road Warriors 6-5 Victory - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Acquire Forward Evan Barlow in a Trade with San Francisco - Reading Royals
- Bulls Get Tam and Viendensky from Worcester, Todd from Orlando - San Francisco Bulls
- Orlando Completes Trade for Former Lighting Draft Pick - Orlando Solar Bears
- Huge Crowd of Kids Sees 2-1 Condors Victory - Bakersfield Condors
- RW Cameron Abney Assigned to the Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - November 15 - ECHL
- Jackals Will Give Thanks to Their Fans this Wednesday - Elmira Jackals
- Wranglers Record Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Condors - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Instant Replay and Multi-Camera Production Coming to the Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Evansville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Titans Announce "Black Friday" Stimulus Package - Trenton Titans
- Solar Bears Hold Thanksgiving Food Drive on Sunday, November 18 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Condors vs. Las Vegas - 10:30 a.m. Face off Today - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Today - November 15 - ECHL
- Gomez Leads Aces to 4-3 Win over Eagles - Alaska Aces
- Special Teams Help Aces Snap Eagles Winning Streak - Colorado Eagles
- Reign Demolish Bulls 8-1 - Ontario Reign
- Thunder drops second regulation loss in nine games, returns home Friday - Stockton Thunder
- Beskorowany, Mouillierat Key 4-2 Victory - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.