Rush Steal 4-3 Shootout Win from Oilers
(Rapid City, SD) - On Saturday, the Rapid City Rush faithful were treated to a barn burner against the Tulsa Oilers at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center. The Rush were able to force overtime with a late third period goal by Jesse Schultz en route to a 4-3 shootout victory. With the win, the Rush maintain their 4th-place position in the Berry Conference. Rapid City finishes out their three game series against the Tulsa Oilers Tuesday, March 19th. Tickets are available by calling the Rush office at 716-7825 or online at gotmine.com
Rush fans had little time to get settled following puck drop as Kyle Peto capitalized on a rebound off the right post following a shot from Jamie VanderVeeken at 3:39. Peto's goal served as his 10th of the season, the first Rush defenseman this year reach the plateau. Rusty Masters doubled the Rush lead lifting a rebound top shelf after a scramble in front of the net, extending his goal streak to a team season-long five games. Tulsa cut the lead in half by the end of the opening frame as Drew Fisher was able to capitalize on the Oilers powerplay at the 8:42 mark.
Ryan Menei would tally the loan goal in the second period for the Oilers taking advantage of another powerplay to send the game into the second intermission tied 2-2.
Tulsa would claim their first lead of the night 5:24 into the third period with Menei putting away his second goal of the night and the third unanswered powerplay goal for the Oilers. With Tim Boron pulled for the extra attacker in the closing minutes of regulation, the Rush faithful erupted. Jared Brown made a swift pass across the front of the Tulsa goal to teammate Jesse Schultz who buried his 16th of the season under the crossbar, sending the game to extra time tied 3-3.
After a scoreless overtime period, the game would ultimately be decided in a shootout. The Rush would dominate the shootout with Tim Boron turning away 3 out of 4 shots and the Rush shooters capitalizing each of their three chances, with the game winner coming from Jared Brown en route to a 4-3 shootout victory.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2013
- Americans Lose Tight One to Fort Worth - Allen Americans
- Cutthroats One Point Away from Playoffs with 7-1 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Special Teams Big in Brahmas' 4-3 Win over Allen - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Blaze Playoff Hopes Dim in Loss to Cutthroats - Bloomington Blaze
- Murray, Mallards Blank Missouri 6-0; Magic Number Shrinks to One - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Blanked by Mallards, 6-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspension - CHL
- Americans vs Brahmas Today - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Drop Game to Thunder in Shootout, 4-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Bootland's Goal in Overtime Lifts Allen to 4-3 Win at NYTEX - Allen Americans
- Thunder Gut out Shootout Win in Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Steal 4-3 Shootout Win from Oilers - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Earn Single Point in Shootout Loss to Rush - Tulsa Oilers
- Brahmas Fall to Americans in Overtime - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks Earn Playoff Berth in 3-1 Win over Mallards - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.