Royals Sign Forward Jeff Corey
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals of the ECHL, affiliate of the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League and the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League, today announced that the team has signed forward Jeff Corey to an ECHL contract. In a separate transaction previously completed, forward T.J. Syner was recalled to Hershey.
Corey, who hails from Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, last played in the 2010-11 season with the Ontario Reign of the ECHL where he registered twenty-four points (11g-13a) in twenty-eight games. This marks the second stint in Reading for Corey, who began the 2008-09 season with the Royals, scoring 3 goals and assisting on one other in twelve games the team. In mid-November, he was then traded to the South Carolina Stingrays, where he proceeded to rack up forty-one points (16g-25a) in fifty-six regular season games. Corey would then serve as an integral member of the Stingrays' team that captured the 2009 Kelly Cup Championship. On his way to becoming a pro player, Corey climbed through the ranks of southeastern Pennsylvania youth hockey, which included stints with the Junior Flyers and Cardinal O'Hara High School in Springfield, PA. After a three year stint with the Sioux Falls Stampede of the United States Hockey League, Corey joined the University of Vermont Catamounts, where he put together a stellar four-year career, scoring a total of forty-eight goals and assisting on fifty-one others (ninety-nine points) in 135 college games. After his senior year in which he led the Catamounts with sixteen goals in thirty-eight games, Corey was a late season addition to the Toronto Marlies, where he promptly scored in his first game as a pro on March 18, 2006, against the Grand Rapids Griffins. The following season, 2006-07, Corey played fifty-six games for the Marlies and scored nine goals, while assisting on eleven others (twenty points).
Syner, a first year pro from Springfield, Massachusetts, was loaned to the Royals by the Bears on Wednesday. He played in the Royals' game that night and extended his scoring streak with Reading to six straight games (3g-5a) by assisting on the team's first goal in the game (by Nikita Kashirsky) in the Royals 3-1 win over the Kalamazoo Wings. In nine games with the Royals this season, Syner has ten points (3g-7a). ). In thirty-three games with the Bears this year, Syner has registered seven points (3g-4a) and fifteen penalty minutes.
The Royals travel to Sun National Bank Arena in Trenton, New Jersey, to take on the Trenton Titans tonight (Saturday, February 23 @ 7:00 pm). The game day broadcast will kick off on CBS Sports Radio 1240 am and 98.5 fm at 6:30 pm with the Pre-Game Warm-Up Show presented by Steve Moyer Subaru. As with all Royals road games, Saturday's game will be televised locally in Berks County, PA on BCTV courtesy of Boscov's Travel and Apple Vacations.. Royals multi-game flex plans for the Royals 2012-13 season presented by Steve Moyer Subaru are currently available. Get more at www.royalshockey.com. Don't forget to "Like" us on Facebook at Reading Royals and "Follow" us on Twitter @RRoyalshockey for the latest team information.
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2013
- Short-benched Eagles Top Grizzlies, 5-0; Brown Gets First Pro Shutout - Colorado Eagles
- Colorado Splits Series with Win over Utah; Game 3 Sunday - Utah Grizzlies
- Schultz Ties League Scoring Mark; Wedgewood First Shutout in Titans - Trenton Titans
- Joel Martin Makes 45 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Win for Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Cool Down 'Blades with 5-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Knock off Nailers, 3-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Zapolski Records Third-Straight Shutout on Pink in the Rink - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Utilize Pink Power against Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals Downed by the Wings Sellout Crowd of 3,810 Comes Out for Donate Life Night - Elmira Jackals
- Zapolski Powers Stingrays Past Road Warriors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Sign Forward Jeff Corey - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Sign Two - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dan DaSilva Loaned to Houston - Ontario Reign
- Ian Keserich Loaned to Binghamton - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Bakersfield Condors - Ontario Reign
- Condors vs. Ontario - Cap Giveaway for the First 2,000 Fans 5 & Up - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Titans GameDay vs. Reading, February 23 - Game 55 (Home 29) - Trenton Titans
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Forward Eric Hunter Recalled to Oklahoma - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls and Steelheads Play Final Game in Idaho - San Francisco Bulls
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Game Preview: 7th Annual Pink in the Rink Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - February 23 - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings at Jackals - Kalamazoo Wings
- Aces Top Wranglers 3-1 to Extend Point Streak - Alaska Aces
- Wranglers Fall 3-1 to Aces - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Reign Keep Thunder Away with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Thunder ends four game road trip at 2-2-0, returns home Sunday - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Edge Eagles in OT, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Evansville Slips Past 'Blades in 21-Round Shootout; Ties ECHL Record - Florida Everblades
- The Rookie and the Vet Dazzle Big Crowd in 4-0 Win - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.