Rochester Red Wings First Baseman Chris Parmelee Recalled to Minnesota
ROCHESTER, NY - Red Wings' first baseman Chris Parmelee today was recalled by the Minnesota Twins. To make soom for Parmelee on the 25-man roster, the Twins optioned right-handed pitcher Cole DeVries to the Red Wings. Also today, righthander Anthony Slama was placed on the 7-Day Disabled List with a right leg contusion, righthander Samuel Deduno and outfielder Brian Dinkelman were reinstated from the 7-Day DL, and righthander Steve Hirschfeld was transferred to Double-A New Britain.
Parmelee was in the Red Wings' original lineup today vs. Norfolk (Orioles), batting third and playing first base, but was scratched prior to the game. The 24-year-old batted .375 with four homers, 12 RBI, a .500 on-base percentage, and a .708 slugging percentage in 15 games. He was on Minnesota's Opening Day roster before being optioned May 17. Parmelee, a left-handed hitter, was selected by the Twins in the first round (20th overall) of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft.
DeVries went 1-1 with a 4.20 ERA in three starts with the Twins for his major league debut after having his contract selected May 22. He picked up his first big league win Monday at Kansas City. DeVries went 1-4 with a 4.24 ERA in eight starts with the Red Wings before his promotion.
Slama has no record, a team-leading nine saves, and an 0.40 ERA in 20 appearances with the Red Wings. He sustained the injury last night, when Norfolk's Miguel Tejada lined a comeback off his right leg in the sixth inning. Slama allowed an unearned run in the outing, snapping his consecutive scoreless innings streak at 17.0.
Deduno missed the last 38 games with right shoulder tendinitis. He went 0-1 with a 3.94 ERA in four starts before being placed on the 7-Day DL April 28.
Dinkelman missed the last 49 games with sprained right hand. He batted .174 with a homer and six RBI in seven games before being placed on the DL April 15.
Hirschfeld was promoted to the Red Wings Tuesday and started last night's game against Norfolk, tossing 5.0 scoreless innings but not figuring in the decision in the 4-1 victory.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 7, 2012
- Figueroa Blanks Bulls for 6.0 Innings in 6-2 SWB Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Iron Pigs come back from 2-0 deficit - Gwinnett Stripers
- Red Sox Rally to Beat Indians 5-3 - Indianapolis Indians
- Doyle Takes No-Hitter to Ninth, Knights Beat 'Hens 6-1 on Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Kroeger Powers PawSox to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Yankees Make It Three Straight over Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Early Deficit Dooms Chiefs in Loss to Louisville - Syracuse Chiefs
- Hens Narrowly Avoid Being No-Hit for First Time Since 1977 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Post-Game Notes-Rochester 2, Norfolk 1 - Rochester Red Wings
- White Sox Purchase Contract of Knights Outfielder Jordan Danks - Charlotte Knights
- Tim Wood Named Tribe's May Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons' Harvey, Pascucci Lead Positions in All-Star Game Online Fan Voting - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Coluimbus (7:05 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Rochester Red Wings First Baseman Chris Parmelee Recalled to Minnesota - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians Begin Homestand with Signature Saturday - Indianapolis Indians
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Thursday, June 7 vs. Norfolk (Orioles) - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.