Rochester Red Wings' First Baseman Chris Parmelee Named IL Player of the Week
ROCHESTER, NY - Rochester Red Wings' first baseman Chris Parmelee today was named International League Player of the Week for the week of July 30-August 5.
Parmelee batted .517 (15-for-29) with three doubles, five homers, and nine RBI in six games during the week. His solo homer with two outs and a 3-2 count in the 9th inning yesterday at Toledo (Tigers) tied the game at 7-7 and paved the way to Rochester's 10-9 win in 19 innings.
Parmelee, who was selected by the Twins in the first round (20th overall) of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, is hitting .367 with 12 homers, 34 RBI, a .480 on-base percentage, and a .687 slugging percentage in 40 games with the Red Wings overall. The 24-year-old leads the Red Wings in home runs despite playing in less than one third of the team's games. Parmelee has enjoyed three stints with the Minnesota Twins in 2012.
Parmelee enters tonight's game against the Empire State Yankees at Frontier Field with a 15-game hitting streak, the longest of his pro career and the longest by a Red Wing since Danny Valencia's 20-game tear April 24-May 16, 2010. Parmelee is hitting .439 (29-for-66) during the streak. He has also hit safely in 19 of his last 20 games, batting .412 (35-for-85) during that time. The left-handed hitter also has recorded at least one RBI in 10 straight games (16 total), the longest such streak by a Red Wing since at least 2004.
Parmelee is the third Red Wing this season to earn IL Player or Pitcher of the Week honors, joining right-handed pitchers Liam Hendriks (June 4-10) and Jeff Manship (July 16-22).
The Red Wings tonight begin a six-game homestand, which includes a four-game series against Empire State and a two-game set against Pawtucket (Red Sox). The Wings have won eight games in a row and are a season-high three games above .500 at 59-56. Rochester is only 3.5 games out of the IL Wild Card spot and 4.5 games out of the IL North Division lead.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 6, 2012
- Tides Take Opener from G-Braves, 7-4 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bulls Beat Clippers in Rain Shortened Game - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs, Bisons Split Doubleheader Nailbiters - Syracuse Chiefs
- Knights Edge Indians 1-0 in Pitchers Duel - Indianapolis Indians
- Yankees Begin Road Trip with 9-2 Victory over Red Wings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Rochester Red Wings Post-Game Notes- Empire State 9, Rochester 2 - Rochester Red Wings
- PawSox Punish the Pigs at McCoy - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Monday, August 6 vs. Empire State (Yankees) - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Add LHP C.J. Nitkowski from Binghamton - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2013 Schedule & Game Times - Buffalo Bisons
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- VandenHurk Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Yankees & Rochester Red Wings Hope Week Events - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Indians & Knights Square off in First-Place Matchup - Indianapolis Indians
- Rochester Red Wings' First Baseman Chris Parmelee Named IL Player of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- Support B.R.A.K.E.S. Night with Kyle Busch Coming to Knights Stadium - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (Game 1: 5:00 Pm) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Yankees Announce 2013 Schedule - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Hens Lose 10-9 in Longest Game in Fifth Third Field History - Toledo Mud Hens
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.