Robertson to Join Pigs Rotation
(Allentown, PA) -- The Philadelphia Phillies have signed left-handed pitcher Nate Robertson to a minor league contract and assigned him to Lehigh Valley, the Phillies announced Tuesday.
Robertson, 32, started the 2010 season with the Florida Marlins, going 6-8 with a 5.47 ERA in 19 games (18 starts) before being released by the club on July 27. He was then signed by the St. Louis Cardinals on Aug. 2 and assigned him to Triple-A Memphis. With the Redbirds, the Wichita native went 2-1, 9.45 ERA in six games (three starts) before being released.
A veteran of nine Major League seasons, Robertson's best season came with the Detroit Tigers in 2006 -- when the southpaw won a career-high 13 games, going 13-13 and posted a career-low 3.84 ERA in 208.2 innings over 32 starts. His career Major League record stands at 57-77 with a 4.97 ERA in 221 games (187 starts).
Robertson spent seven seasons with the Tigers organization, going 51-68 with a 4.87 ERA in 196 games. He earned his first and only postseason win of his career throwing five shutout innings against the Oakland A's in Game 1 of the 2006 ALCS -- a series the Tigers would sweep before losing in five games to the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series. Robertson took the loss in Game 3 of the Fall Classic allowing two runs on five hits in five innings.
Robertson was originally drafted by the Florida Marlins in the fifth-round of the 1999 draft out of Wichita State University. He was traded with former IronPigs reliever Gary Knotts to Detroit for Mark Redman on Jan. 11, 2003.
The 6-2, 215-pounder spent most of the 2003 season in the International League with Toledo, going 9-7 with a 3.14 ERA. He also made five starts with the Mud Hens during the 2009 season.
Robertson is expected to make his IronPigs debut with a start on Thursday at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, the New York Yankees' Triple-A affiliate.
International League Stories from August 24, 2010
- Balentien Blasts Bats Past Indians 5-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Hang on to Knock off Herd - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Chiefs Slip by IronPigs 5-4 on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Chiefs
- Gwinnett Defeats Charlotte, 9-5 - Gwinnett Braves
- Bulls Win Ninth in a Row, 1-0 - Durham Bulls
- Oliver Leads Mud Hens to 7-3 Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Robertson to Join Pigs Rotation - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bobcats Night at Knights Stadium - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons/Chiefs Game on August 26 to be Broadcast Live in Spanish and English - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo Bisons
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Homestand Highlights - Louisville Bats
- The Latin American Association Receives Gwinnett Braves August Grant - Gwinnett Braves
- Bisons Stampede PawSox, 12-4 - Pawtucket Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.