Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids
Taylor Chorney tied the game with 2:29 remaining in regulation, and Jani Hakanpaa scored the game-winning goal in overtime as the Peoria Rivermen came back to beat the Grand Rapids Griffins 4-3 Saturday night at Van Andel Arena. The win was Peoria's seventh straight against Grand Rapids and pushed their record to 7-2-0 against the Griffins this season.
After a scoreless first frame, the Rivermen scored the game's first goal just 43 seconds into the second period. Andre Bouvet-Morrissette beat Petr Mrazek under the glove for his second goal of the season. T.J. Hensick and Evgeny Grachev assisted on the goal.
Grand Rapids took the lead with two goals in 20 seconds, both from Landon Ferraro. Ferraro's 22nd goal of the season came at the 9:13 mark of the second period and was assisted by Jeff Hoggan and Tomas Jurco. Ferraro scored his second goal of the night to give the Griffins a 2-1 lead at 9:33 with Francis Pare and Tomas Tatar earning assists on the tally.
Jani Lajunen tied the game at 14:23 of the second period. A goalmouth scramble resulted in Lajunen scoring his first goal as a Rivermen. Andrew Murray and Grachev got credit for the assists.
The Griffins reclaimed the lead with a goal by Francis Pare 4:07 into the third. Pare jumped on a rebound to score his 22nd goal of the year. Tatar and Adam Almquist assisted on the go-ahead goal.
The Rivermen tied the game on their first power-play chance of the night with 2:29 remaining in regulation. Chorney scored the game-tying goal. Grachev and Hensick assisted on Chorney's fourth goal of the season.
Just 20 seconds into overtime, Hakanpaa scored his first goal of the season to give Peoria the win. Hakanpaa took a wrist shot that went under the pads of Mrazek and into the goal.
Peoria was outshot 32-27. The Rivermen went 1-for-1 on the power play while Grand Rapids went 0-for-2.
The Rivermen will host the Charlotte Checkers on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. For tickets or more information call 309-676-1040.
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.