RiverKings Take Down Ice Bears 3-2 in Knoxville
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The RiverKings rallied to break a tie twice in the game to take down the Ice Bears 3-2. For the second straight game, the Ice Bears broke open the scoring with a lone first-period goal. It was Danny Cesarz who Tyler Green 14:11 into the period, giving the home Ice Bears a 1-0 lead heading into the first intermission.
The RiverKings bounced back in the second period scoring the equalizer, courtesy of Ryan Marcuz on the power play. With Anthony Flaherty in the box for tripping, Marcuz beat Zoltan Hetenyi to tie the game with only 15 seconds left on the man-advantage.
With a 1-1 score heading into the third, the RiverKings took their first lead of the night on Devin Mantha's tenth goal of the season. Ryan Marcuz feathered a pass to the high slot where Mantha ripped a one-timer past Hetenyi for the RiverKings first lead of the night, 2-1. The lead would only last around four minutes before Knoxville, and Berkeley Scott retied the game. Scott's shot beat Tyler Green over his left shoulder hitting the crossbar and breaking the plain.
It looked like the game was headed to extra time for the second straight game between the RiverKings and Ice Bears but Shane Bennett made sure that wasn't the case when he slid into the slot on a partial break and backhanded a shot past Hetenyi, giving the RiverKings the lead and ultimately the win.
The RiverKings leave Knoxville en route to Fayetteville and a matchup with the Marksmen on Saturday night. They return home to Planters Bank Ice at Landers Center on Friday, January 26. It's Olympic Night, and Wiener Dog Races with all pups welcome to hang out and cheer on the racers. For a $5 donation to the RiverKings Reach Out Fund at the Community Foundation of Northwest Mississippi, fans can bring the dogs to enjoy the game. For specialty tickets, including an Olympic themed RiverThing bobblehead, visit riverkings.com/olympics.
About the Mississippi RiverKings: The RiverKings are supported by our community partners, season ticket holders, fans, and grants from Maddox Foundation, an independent private foundation based in Hernando, Miss.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- Nieuwendyk Is Strong in the Force, Lifts ThunderBolts Over. - Evansville Thunderbolts
- RiverKings Fall to Fayetteville 5-4 in Shootout - Mississippi RiverKings
- GAME RECAP: Don't Call it a Comeback; Mayhem Rally from Three-Goal Deficit to Top Pensacola. - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs Fall in Knoxville, 10-0 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Fiorentino, Hill Lead Marksmen to Shootout Victory - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs (10-16-3) at Ice Bears - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Marksmen Earn Point in Six-Round Shootout Defeat - Fayetteville Marksmen
- RiverKings Take Down Ice Bears 3-2 in Knoxville - Mississippi RiverKings
- Williams Scores Twice in 4-1 Win over Bulls - Evansville Thunderbolts
- GAME RECAP: Roanoke Outlasts Fayetteville in a Shootout - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- GAME RECAP: McCormick Extends SPHL-Best Goal Streak in Loss to Pensacola - Macon Mayhem
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.