River Rats Switch Defenders
Albany N.Y. The Albany River Rats announced today that defenseman Sean Brown was recalled by the Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils last night. In a separate move, blueliner Phil Cole has been recalled to the American Hockey League club from the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL.
Brown, 27, has appeared in four games with the Devils this year after signing as a free agent on July 24, 2003. He recorded seven (1-6-7) points and 56 penalty minutes in 21 games played with the River Rats this season. The Oshawa, Ontario native has totals of 13 goals, 29 assists for 42 points and 828 penalty minutes in 354 National Hockey League games with Edmonton, Boston and New Jersey. The Boston Bruins originally drafted Brown with their second choice (21st overall) in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.
Cole, 21, returns to Albany after compiling one goal and 33 penalty minutes in 12 games for the Cyclones during the 2003-04 campaign. He posted an assist in six games with a plus one rating for the River Rats earlier this year. The Winnipeg, Manitoba native was New Jerseys eighth choice (125th overall) in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.
Albany kicks-off a three-game weekend tonight at Binghamton in a 7:05pm face-off from the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena. The club returns home on Saturday for Ladies Night against the Hamilton Bulldogs at 7:00pm. Mary Kay Cosmetics and The PowerPuff Girls will be at the game with great prize giveaways. The weekend concludes with a road match-up against the Worcester IceCats on Sunday night at 7:15pm. All games can be heard on the clubs flagship radio station, Moon Radio AM 1160 WABY and are available online at www.albanyriverrats.com.
The Albany River Rats, in their 11th season as a member of the American Hockey League, are owned and operated by Capital District Sports Inc., and serve as the primary affiliate of the Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils.
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2004
- Falcons Turn Tables on Worcester, Win 3-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Clemens one of 13,342 to watch Aeros fall 6-3 - Houston Aeros
- Roadrunners Defeat Crunch in Overtime - Edmonton Road Runners
- Griffins Bury Wolves in Overtime, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hedlunds OT Goal Lifts Senators - Binghamton Senators
- Shot of Smirnov helps Ducks skate past Moose - Cincinnati RailRaiders
- Huml lifts P-Bruins to overtime win - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Shutout Monarchs 2-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms shut out Hershey 4-0 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Lose 3-2 In Overtime In Providence - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Michaud Will Not Broadcast This Saturday - Norfolk Admirals
- Kotyk Recalled by San Jose - Cleveland Barons
- Cincinnati Mighty Ducks Preview - Cincinnati RailRaiders
- River Rats Ready for AHL Event in New Jersey - Albany River Rats
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- River Rats Switch Defenders - Albany River Rats
- Coyotes Recall Kolanos - Springfield Falcons
- Aeros Game Day; Houston recalls Protsenko - Houston Aeros
- Canucks Assign Hedberg to the Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Sign Defenseman Dave Karpa to AHL SPC - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Lynch Signs, Mizzi Released & Bekar Returns - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.