Riley Gill Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals of the ECHL, affiliate of the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League and the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League, today announced that goaltender Riley Gill has been named the Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month (March, 2013). Gill, a third year pro from Northfield, Minnesota, went 9-2-1-0 with a 1.24 goals against average and a .953 save percentage and had three shutouts in twelve appearances for the Royals last month.
With this selection, Gill, who also won the Goaltender of the Month award with the Victoria Salmon Kings in October of 2010 and the Kalamazoo Wings in February of 2012, ties the ECHL record with his third Goaltender of the Month award.
Gill allowed two goals or less in each of his final 11 appearances in"March-and held the opposition to one goal or less eight times, including his three shutouts. He also put together a seven game win streak from March 10 through March 24, which ended only when he was saddled with a hard-luck loss after coming on in substitution in the third period of the Royals' 6-4 loss to Trenton on March 28. He made fifteen saves on sixteen shots in that period of play, but happened to give up the goal that proved to be the game winner. Gill, who is the first goaltender in Royals' history to be named as the ECHL's Goaltender of the Week in consecutive weeks (on March 18 and March 25), went 10-3-0-1 with a 1.28 goals against average and a .952 save percentage in fourteen appearances with Reading during the regular season.
Gill is the second Royals' goaltender this season to earn the Goaltender of the Month award, joining Philipp Grubauer, who received the award in November of 2012. It is the first time in Royals' team history that Reading has had two goaltenders in one season receive the monthly award. The other goaltenders who have won the GOM award for Reading were Peter Hamerlik (February of 2004) and Cody Rudkowsky (November of 2005).
Royals playoff tickets are now on sale. The Eastern Conference Quarterfinal best of seven series against the Greenville Road Warriors will start with Game One on Friday, April 5 (@7:05 pm) at Sovereign Center in Reading, Pennsylvania. Friday's game night broadcast on CBS Sports Radio 1240 am and 98.5 fm will kick off with the pre-game warm-up show presented by Steve Moyer Subaru at 6:35 pm. Game Two of the best of seven series will be played at the Sovereign Center on Saturday, April 6 (@7:05 pm). More information is available at 610-898-7825 and through the Royals website: www.royalshockey.com. Don't forget to "Like" us on Facebook at Reading Royals and "Follow" us on Twitter @RRoyalshockey for the latest team information.
EASTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINAL
(1) Reading Royals v (8) Greenville Road Warriors
Game One: Friday, April 5 (7:05 pm) at Sovereign Center, Reading, PA
Game Two: Saturday, April 6 (7:05 pm) at Sovereign Center, Reading, PA
Game Three: Wednesday, April 10 (7:00 pm) at BI-LO Center, Greenville, SC
Game Four: Thursday, April 11 (7:00 pm) at BI-LO Center, Greenville, SC
Game Five (IF NECESSARY): Sunday, April 14 (4:00 pm) at BI-LO Center, Greenville, SC
Game Six (IF NECESSARY): Tuesday, April 16 (7:05 pm) at Sovereign Center, Reading, PA
Game Seven (IF NECESSARY): Wednesday, April 17 (7:05 pm) at Sovereign Center, Reading, PA
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2013
- Everblades Receive Forward Jenks from AHL Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- Froese Back to Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Playoff Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Utah Grizzlies - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Royals to Sell 'Super-Secret' Special Jerseys on Web Site - Reading Royals
- Game 4 to Air Live on Altitude Sports and Entertainment - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Guimond Named ECHL Defenseman of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Altitude Sports & Entertainment to Broadcast Game 4 of ECHL Playoff Series - Colorado Eagles
- Gwinnett's Guimond Named 2012-13 ECHL Defenseman of the Year - ECHL
- Roy & Trivino Receive ECHL Monthly Award Honors - Florida Everblades
- Florida's Roy Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Condors Rookie Brett Perlini Called up to Lake Erie - Bakersfield Condors
- Florida's Trivino Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Forward Alden Hirschfeld Returns from Providence - South Carolina Stingrays
- Riley Gill Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Reading Royals
- Reading's Gill Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- ECHL Today - April 3 - ECHL
- Reign Storm Grizzlies with 5-2 Game 1 Win - Ontario Reign
- Quick Start Gives Ontario Edge in Game 1 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.