RHP Paolo Espino Promoted to Columbus
The Aeros made some roster moves today as RHP Paolo Espino was transferred to Class AAA Columbus and LHP Matt Packer was received from Class A Lake County.
Espino is the 15th player this season to earn the promotion from Akron to Columbus and was an Eastern League All-Star this year, posting a 9-4 record with a 4.00 ERA. The versatile 23-year-old native of Panama City, Panama appeared in 21 games (15 starts) thus far this season while leading the team with 92 strikeouts and ranking second with 101.1 innings pitched. He served as a piggyback for left-hander Nick Hagadone for nearly four weeks in May and June, finishing 2-0 with a 3.27 ERA as a reliever. Espino joined the Indians organization as a 10th-round selection in the June 2006 Draft and led the Class A Carolina League with a 2.59 ERA in 2009.
Packer is the first person in 2010 to earn a promotion from the Captains of the Class A Midwest League to the Aeros today after a sensational first four months of the season. He led the circuit by a wide margin with his 1.60 ERA and had 92 strikeouts against only 13 walks in 95.2 innings pitched. The 22-year-old concludes his stint with an 8-5 record and one save in 24 games (13 starts) after joining the starting rotation in late May. He allowed more than one earned run in just three appearances all year and permitted just seven runs (five earned runs) in 12 games total on the road. Cleveland selected Packer in the 32nd round of the June 2009 Draft out of the University of Virginia and he made his professional debut late last year for the short-season Class A Mahoning Valley Scrappers.
The Aeros roster currently stands at 23 men + 1 on rehab assignment. Packer will wear #38 with Akron and will start Game 2 of today's doubleheader against the first-place Altoona Curve at Blair County Ballpark. RHP Alex White will start Game 1 of with a first pitch time at 5:30 p.m.
Eastern League Stories from August 3, 2010
- Portland Bombs Bowie 14-8 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Big Night for Solano Sparks Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Rock Cats Double up Erie - New Britain Rock Cats
- 'Wolves Fall to Rock Cats in Series Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- The Hats Are Here and Ready for Pick Up - Altoona Curve
- Damon Sublett Rejoins Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Rock Cats Have Three Roster Transactions Today - New Britain Rock Cats
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Tickets to Thursday's Curve Game Help a Great Cause - Altoona Curve
- Aeros Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- RHP Paolo Espino Promoted to Columbus - Akron RubberDucks
- Baysox Playoff Tickets On Sale Tuesday - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.