Red Claws Outlast the Ants
FORT WAYNE, IN - The Maine Red Claws continued their early season supremacy over the Fort Wayne Mad Ants by beating them 107-104 behind the strength of Micah Downs and Kris Joseph, who scored 24 and 22 respectively.
The Mad Ants came out strong in the first quarter behind the strong play of their three recently assigned NBA players -- Kim English, Khris Middleton, and Miles Plumlee. Plumlee got the Ants off to a 2-0 start off a nice Middleton feed, and English gave the Mad Ants a 13-10 lead off of his first of three three-point shots. The Ants went to the second quarter with a 32-25 lead and were led by Middleton's ten points, five rebounds, and two assists.
The Red Claws went on the attack in the second quarter, however, and got themselves back in the game with a 15-7 run that put them up by one with 6 minutes left in the half. Maine pushed the lead to five before the Ants clawed back into the game with a furious finish to the half that saw them tie it at 55-55.
The game was close throughout the second half, but the Mad Ants seemed to take control off of a JaJuan Johnson jump shot that gave Fort Wayne a seven point cushion, but the lead did not last. Maine went on a 18-6 run over the next six minutes to go into the final minute with a 106-98 lead behind Micah Downs clutch shooting and an absolute dagger of a three from Shelvin Mack. The Ants made a gallant attempt to claw back in it behind threes from Middleton and English, but Maine was able to get the win after three final three-point attempts from the Ants failed.
Beyond the 24 and 22 from Downs and Joseph, Shelvin Mack chipped in 15 points and 11 assists.
For the Mad Ants, Kim English and JaJuan Johnson scored 24 apiece for the losing team.
NBA Development League Stories from December 14, 2012
- Skyforce Continues Hot Start with Win over Toros - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Tulsa Falls to Bakersfield, 101-94 - Tulsa 66ers
- Blazers Assignments Help Stampede Cruise Past Warriors - Idaho Stampede
- Red Claws Outlast the Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Fourth Quarter Rally Propels Charge Past Armor - Canton Charge
- BayHawks Drain Energy, 99-84 - Erie BayHawks
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Forward Chris Johnson - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Acquires Whiteside - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- McDonald's High School Basketball Players of the Month Announced - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Rockets Re-Assign Jones and Motiejunas to RGV - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Houston Rockets Re-Assign Motiejunas and Jones to NBA D-League Affiliate Rio Grande Valley Vipers - D-League
- Claver, Freeland Assigned to Stampede - Idaho Stampede
- Portland Trail Blazers Assign Claver and Freeland to NBA D-League Affiliate Idaho Stampede - D-League
- Jeremy Lamb and Daniel Orton Assigned to Tulsa 66ers - Tulsa 66ers
- Oklahoma City Thunder Re-Assigns Orton and Lamb to NBA D-League Affiliate Tulsa 66ers - D-League
- D-Fenders Charge Past Bighorns - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Bighorns Fall to D-Fenders Despite Landry's Big Night - Reno Bighorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.