Red Bulls Acquire Forward Andre Akpan from Colorado
HARRISON, NJ (March 28, 2013) - The New York Red Bulls announced today that they acquired forward Andre Akpan from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for a conditional 2015 MLS Draft pick.
"Andre is strong, physical forward with MLS experience and will provide another attacking option for our coaching staff," said Red Bulls Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh. "We are pleased to sign him and look forward to his contributions in the coming season."
Akpan, 25, has been with the Rapids since being selected by Colorado in the second round (22nd overall) in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft out of Harvard University. Part of the Rapids squad that won MLS Cup in 2010, Akpan finished last season with a career-high three goals and 15 appearances. Akpan has featured in one match for the Rapids this season as a substitute on March 2 at FC Dallas and has amassed 29 appearances and four goals during his MLS career.
The Grand Prairie, TX native was a member of the U.S. Under-20 World Cup squad in Canada. At Harvard, he was the school's all-time leading scorer and the 2009 Ivy League Player of the Year.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 28, 2013
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Academy Lose 3-2 to Coritiba FC in Final Group Stage Game at Dallas Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Andre Akpan from Colorado - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Acquire Conditional Draft Pick in Trade with New York Red Bulls - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Defender Diego Calderón out 4-5 Months After Knee Surgery - Colorado Rapids
- Crew Youth Update: March 28 - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact U21 Will Not Play in Canadian Soccer League in 2013 - Montreal Impact
- Revs to be Tested by FCD's Balanced Attack - New England Revolution
- Jeld-Wen Field's Fieldturf Surface Earns Third Fifa 2-Star Certification - Portland Timbers
- Donovan Returns to the Galaxy, Ready to Contribute for Club and Country - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Mkungilwa Recalled by Canada U17 - Montreal Impact
- Red Bulls Announce New Partnership with Rush Soccer and Adidas - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines Colorado Rapids Defender Drew Moor - MLS
- Chicago Fire Foundation Launches P.L.A.Y.S. Program - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.