RECAP: Penguins' Pedan Scores Hat Trick in 4-3 Win over Rocket
LAVAL, Qué. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins established a new season high with their seventh win in a row during a contest in which the team saw one of its players post his first career hat trick for the second consecutive night. Defenseman Andrey Pedan's three goals fueled the Penguins to a 4-3 victory over the Laval Rocket on Saturday at Place Bell.
Pedan became just the second defenseman in team history to record a hat trick while Wilkes-Barre/Scranton improved to 23-10-2-1 on the season, first in the Atlantic Division.
Laval got off to a hot start with Éric Gélinas scoring 32 seconds into the game. However, Pedan's first goal of the evening evened the score 3:07 when the Russian blueliner rushed the puck through the neutral zone, threw a shot on goal from just below the blue line that deflected off goaltender Michael McNiven's glove and across the goal line.
The physical play ratcheted up through the rest of the first period, but neither team managed another goal before the first intermission.
The Rocket reestablished the lead with another early period goal when Adam Cracknell tipped in a shot from the point, only to see the Penguins' Teddy Blueger answer back 23 seconds later.
Pedan got his second goal of the night on the power play at 5:49 of the second period, putting the Penguins on top, 3-2.
Laval earned its own man advantage marker with Cracknell's second tally, gathering a rebound right on the doorstep midway through the middle frame.
Pedan nabbed his first career hat trick with a déjà vu set up on the power play, identical to the goal he scored at 5:49 of the second stanza. Once again, Pedan unloaded a shot from the top of the left circle and blistered it past McNiven with four minutes left in the middle frame.
Despite the best efforts of McNiven to keep his team within striking distance, making 11 saves on the Penguins in the third period alone, Pedan's hat trick-completing tally stood as the game-winner and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton walked away triumphant, 4-3.
Pedan's hat trick followed an outing in which Ryan Haggerty scored his first professional hat trick on Friday at Belleville.
Anthony Peters landed his fifth-straight win by making 23 saves. McNiven was dealt the loss even though he turned away 37 of 41 Penguins shots.
The Penguins' next game is Wednesday, Jan. 17 against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. Puck drop between the Penguins and Phantoms is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- San Antonio Reassigns Forward Thomas Frazee to Norfolk Admirals - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Wild Overtime Thriller at Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- San Antonio Splits Weekend Series with Milwaukee After 3-1 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 2 at Manitoba 3 - Manitoba Moose
- T-Birds Fly Past P-Bruins After Three-Goal Second Period - Providence Bruins
- San Antonio Recalls Forwards J.C. Beaudin and Shawn St. Amant From - San Antonio Rampage
- LA Kings Kings Recall Forward Jonny Brodzinski from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Winnipeg Jets Release - Jets Reassign Hutchinson, Lemieux And - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Recall Jones, Cornell from ECHL - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hogs Extend Point Streak in Last-Second OT Loss to Condors - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Down Rockford in Overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- POSTGAME - San Diego 2 vs. Tucson 4 - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Mist Wolves to Split Season Series - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Shutout Amerks, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland's Korpisalo Cools off Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap: Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Tokarski (29 Saves) Backstops 2-1 Win over Rival Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Monsters Cap Lengthy Road Trip with 2-1 Win Over - Cleveland Monsters
- Recap - Sound Tigers 2, Bruins 1 (SO) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Belleville Senators 4, Hartford Wolf Pack 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- COMRIE'S 3-POINT NIGHT CASTS OUT DEVILS IN OT - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Bite Bruins in Shootout 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Run out of Gas in 3-1 Loss to Marlies - Charlotte Checkers
- RECAP: Penguins' Pedan Scores Hat Trick in 4-3 Win over Rocket - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 5 at Manitoba 4 - Manitoba Moose
- Dominic Turgeon Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canucks Reassign Nikolay Goldobin to the Utica Comets - Utica Comets
- Iowa Wild Recalls Forward Jack Walker from Rapid City - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Recall Forward Michael Joly from Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Louis Domingue to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Bury Barracuda, Extend Point Streak to 4 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Rally in Third to Clip Condors - Chicago Wolves
- Milwaukee Powers Past San Antonio 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Assign Joonas Korpisalo, Tyler Motte - Cleveland Monsters
- Four-Goal Third Period Sends Amerks to 5-2 Win Over - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Claim Ninth Win in Last 11 Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- RECAP: Haggerty's Hat Trick Lifts Penguins Past Senators, 6-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.