Recap: Hawks Take Tilt with Lancers
The line of Garrett Wait, Jack Drury, and Bobby Trivigno was responsible for four goals during a 5-2 Waterloo Black Hawks win Sunday afternoon against the Omaha Lancers at Young Arena.
In the first period, Waterloo outshot Omaha 16-3, but the Lancers had the only lead prior to intermission. First and icing call and then a puck lifted out of play marooned a group of Hawks defenders on the ice. Noah Cates made the most of the situation when the puck came to him and he beat Matej Tomek to the stick side at 7:47. Drury's hustle allowed Waterloo to retie it before intermission.
The first player on the ice during a shift change, Drury forced a tie-up in the left wing corner. That bought time for Trivigno to take the puck, step behind the net, and set up Garrett Wait for a one-touch goal from the top of the crease at 12:54. The run by the home team was extended with two early second period goals.
At the 42-second mark, Trivigno hopped over the boards on a change, swiped the puck at the Lancer line, and beat Zach Driscoll with a wrister from the left circle.
The Hawks struck again at 4:52. Joey Cassetti sprang Evan Dougherty through the neutral zone, and Dougherty ripped a shot past Driscoll's stick side from the opposite circle. Waterloo spent the final three minutes of the third period shorthanded and were still down a skater to start the third due to a five minute boarding penalty on Hank Sorensen. Nick Perbix eventually delivered a power play goal for the Lancers at 1:15. The Hawks maintained their 3-2 margin until 11:54, when Drury reestablished a two-goal edge. Skating below the left circle, Drury beat Driscoll with a shot inside the post.
The Lancers lifted their netminder with three minutes to play, but Waterloo fended off an extended stretch in the defensive zone before Wait added an empty-netter at 18:47. Tomek made 27 saves for the win; Waterloo outshot the Lancers 31-29.
The Hawks play their final January road game next Friday against the Lincoln Stars.
Omaha 1 0 1 - 2. Waterloo 1 2 2 - 5.
1st Period-1, Omaha, Cates 7 (Gallant, Suchy), 7:47. 2, Waterloo, Wait 9 (Trivigno, Drury), 12:54. Penalties-Mitchell Oma (interference), 14:15.
2nd Period-3, Waterloo, Trivigno 8 0:42. 4, Waterloo, Dougherty 3 (Cassetti), 4:52. Penalties-Dougherty Wat (high sticking), 2:26; Mannara Oma (roughing), 9:16; Furry Oma (roughing), 16:42; Sorensen Wat (unsportsmanlike cnd., major-boarding), 16:42.
3rd Period-5, Omaha, Perbix 1 (Suchy, Gallant), 1:15 (PP). 6, Waterloo, Drury 10 (Tabor, Sorensen), 11:54. 7, Waterloo, Wait 10 (Drury), 18:47 (EN). Penalties-Suchy Oma (checking from behind), 13:20.
Shots on Goal-Omaha 5-10-14-29. Waterloo 16-9-6-31.
Power Play Opportunities-Omaha 1 / 2; Waterloo 0 / 3.
Goalies-Omaha, Driscoll 9-5-1-0 (30 shots-26 saves). Waterloo, Tomek 8-5-2-1 (29 shots-27 saves).
Referees-Eric Krasnichuk (7), Scott McClement (19).
Linesmen-Chad Fuller (75), Kris Delaney (92).
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- McLAUGHLIN, SHORE TALLY HAT TRICKS AS STEEL OUTDUEL MUSKETEERS - Chicago Steel
- Recap: Hawks Take Tilt with Lancers - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Waterloo Tops Omaha, 5-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Add Swedish Centerman Jakob Ringsby to Roster - Tri-City Storm
- Prosvetov Stops 52; Phantoms Prevail 3-1 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Postgame Recap: Palmer Provides OT Winner - Waterloo Black Hawks
- 1-13-18 McKay Steels the Show - Madison Capitols
- Storm Fall in Overtime to Des Moines - Tri-City Storm
- Prosvetov Shines as Saints Stonewalled in Loss - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Top Stars in OT, 4-3 - Omaha Lancers
- Stampede Fall to Fargo for First Time this Season - Sioux Falls Stampede
- RECAP -- Stars Earn One Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Lincoln Stars
- Steel Fall 4-1 at Madison Saturday - Chicago Steel
- Preview: Storm Seek Weekend Sweep of Des Moines - Tri-City Storm
- Abruzzese Lifts Steel Past Roughriders in Overtime - Chicago Steel
- 1-12-18 ... No More Messnering Around - Madison Capitols
- Storm Sink Buccaneers in 3-1 Win - Tri-City Storm
- Fighting Saints Break Away in the Third, Beat Phantoms - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- RECAP - Stars Fall to the Lancers, 6-2 - Lincoln Stars
- Phantoms Drop 3-1 Decision to Dubuque - Youngstown Phantoms
- Stampede Stay Perfect vs Fargo with 3-2 Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.