Recap: Cyclones Fall in Overtime in Greenville
Greenville, SC- The Cincinnati Cyclones (36-29-5-1) dropped a 3-2 overtime decision to the Greenville Swamp Rabbits on Friday night. Defenseman Martin Lefebvre and forward Shane Walsh scored the goals for the Cyclones, who were officially eliminated from playoff contention with the loss.
After the Swamp Rabbits took a 1-0 lead early in the first on a goal from forward Alan McPherson, Cincinnati pulled back even midway through the frame when a shot from Lefebvre from the right circle found its way through traffic and in past Greenville goaltender Jeff Malcom to tie the game, 1-1.
That 1-1 score held up throughout the remainder of the first period, and 6:40 into the second Cincinnati took their first lead of game when Walsh took a pass from forward Seth Ambroz and hammered a shot from the left circle in to put the Cyclones up, 1-0.
The lead was short lived as roughly four minutes later Greenville tied the game back up, 2-2, on a goal from forward Brandon Alderson, and for the second straight period the two sides skated into the locker room deadlocked.
After a spirited third period that saw the sides combine for numerous close calls on offense and some big hits exchanged, Cincinnati and Greenville headed to overtime still tied, 2-2. With one minute remaining in the extra session, former Cyclone Garrett Noonan fired a shot from the high slot and in to give the Swamp Rabbits a 3-2 overtime win.
The Cyclones were outshot, 52-34 on the night, with Cyclones goaltender Michael Houser stopping 49 in the loss. Cincinnati wraps up the 2016-17 season on Saturday night in Charleston, SC, against the South Carolina Stingrays. Face-off is slated for 7:05pm ET.
The 2016-17 season is coming to a close, and the Cincinnati Cyclones want to thank you for all of your support this season. Stay tuned in the coming weeks and months for information on tickets and promotions for the 2017-18 season, next season's schedule, great offseason events like Concrete Clones, and MORE! Call (513) 421-PUCK for information regarding your Cyclones, and you can also get the latest team updates on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com !
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2017
- Ponatrelli's Big Night Not Enough for Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Best Beast, 4-1 (0) - Manchester Monarchs
- Comeback Win Clinches Stingrays Spot in Postseason - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cazzola Scores Hat Trick, Komets Drop Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Recap: Cyclones Fall in Overtime in Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- O'Donnell Nets 40th Goal in 5-3 Loss at Orlando - Florida Everblades
- GAME RECAP: South Carolina Scores Three in the Third, Defeat - Atlanta Gladiators
- Komets Face Mallards in Weekend Playoff Preview - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wheeling Nailers Statement on David Gove - Wheeling Nailers
- Komet Mike Embach Earns ECHL Community Service Award - Fort Wayne Komets
- Defenseman Jake Baker Returns from AHL's Manitoba Moose - Florida Everblades
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, 4.7 - Manchester Monarchs
- The Royal Road Ahead: Reading Royals at Norfolk Admirals - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.